my thoughts on the game

Viewing 1 reply thread

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

My favorite Utah team of all time, as I’ve said several times. We can all learn a lot from the way these young men have handled adversity.

Coaching: What a masterful coaching job from Whitt. He doesn’t even think about taking any credit at all for one second. You can tell the seniors/outgoing juniors on this team really look up to him and respect him. Ludwig put together another solid offensive game plan that, given a bit better accuracy from Rising could have resulted in the game being out of reach by halftime. Harding has turned the worst unit on the team into one of the best. If Bumphis can follow suit we are going to be a very very good team for a very long time. Scalley had a great day as usual. Some really great defensive playcalling tonight.

QB: Rising is a really great guy, phenomenal leader. Didn’t have a great game throwing the ball (not bad, just missed a few easy throws), and fumbled it out of bounds, but how can you not love this guy? Give him a full offseason knowing he’s going to be the starter with a healthy body… He’ll be the best QB in the pac12 next year.

RB: Thomas/Pledger/Bernard all had their moments. Thomas is something else. I wish we had this guy for longer, he would obliterate his own TD record.

WR: Really glad to see these guys involved early in the game. Enis, Howard, Vele, Covey all had receptions early on, and they set the tone for the offense.

TE: Fotheringham had an easy catch that he dropped, a rare thing this year. Despite that one small mistake they all played really well. 

OL: They got beat a few times by some really talented defenders, but they kept the right mindset and were able to provide Rising and co with the blocking they needed. Our offensive line is a strength of this team.

DL: Maybe their best game all year. Every one of those guys had truly dominant moments where it was clear they were more physically gifted than their opposition. Phenomenal game by those guys.

LB: I actually had a feeling that Lloyd was going to get a pick 6 on that play, before it happened… Though in my head it was a much deeper pass play for some reason. Not saying I called it, just a random thought I had seconds before it took place. Lloyd and Sewelll are top notch linebackers, Lloyd is the best linebacker we’ve ever had at the U, and it really isn’t all that close. He might be the perfect linebacker.

S: OMG Cole Bishop might give Weddle and Lloyd a run for their money as the best Ute defender of all time. He’s like a bigger more athletic version of weddle. His instincts are ridiculous. Also, Kudos to Davis for playing pretty much all year with injuries. I don’t recall him making a big mistake all year. Great player.

CB: Phillips had another great game. I REALLY HOPE Vaughn is okay.

K/P: Nice to see Redding getting in on the action. Our punter actually helped US instead of the other team this game. That’s always a plus.

Returns: Covey might be the most likeable person on planet earth.

2008 National Champ
      Ute Fan
      @cptmrgn05

I don’t disagree with a thing you’ve said with the exception of Thomas breaking his own record.

As I sit here the following morning, I don’t really know what to feel about this team. They outperformed my expectations but do we really know how good they are/could have been? The future is very bright, especially on the D with all of freshmen that have been playing at a high level this year. But I’m struggling to draw conclusions based on how 2021 played out to this point.

Other than the slow start against ASU, Utah flat dominated the most talented teams on their schedule this season. At the same time, there have been very real struggles in games where Utah would be expected to win easily. Is 10-3 P12 champions the true level of this team? Did they overachieve to get to this point or underachieve?

I just don’t see any one thing that I can point to as the true measure of the team this year. Depending on who comes back for 2022, that has the potential to be a truly special, 2004/08 type season. But it’s hard not to look back at 2021 and wonder if there could have been more. I feel like a jerk for even asking the question but I honestly don’t have the answer at this point.

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football my thoughts on the game