My thoughts

Viewing 2 reply threads

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

I am actually very pleased with our play. Yeah, we should have won by more. Yeah, our OL struggled at times. But we were really, really solid.

Williams was good in the throw game. Our WR’s made some plays, McCormick looks good.

And our defense? Wow. We were fantastic defensively.

What do we need to do this week?

Fix the OL. We need to get better. Better everywhere. Does Barton start over Tevi next week? We need to find a RB who can run through the tackles. If we can find a RB that can get us three yards and a cloud of dust, this offense will be really, really…solid.

I feel better about the season now than I did this morning.

Now, if BYU blows Arizona out…lol.

FormerUteSax
      Ute Fan
      @formerutesax

I agree about the oline it was disappointing. I liked that Schyde kid that was running in the second half

Onlyu
        Ute Fan
        @uf8fl

Observations:

Loved the accuracy from Troy Williams…had a few drops which affected his completion percentage but he made good decisions all night.  He hit WR’s in stride – Haven’t seen that in a while, took some shots down field, threw a good deep ball and was very composed in the pocket.  The past number of years on 3rd and long we were screwed…Not ANYMORE!  This kid can make plays.  11 different guys caught he ball…wow!

O-line push was hugely disappointing.  SUU brought pressure and disguised it fairly well and we couldn’t develop or hold a pocket (which makes our QB play even more impressive), would not have bet on that.  The talent is there and we’ll see a big improvement next week but those big uglies are gonna have a tough film session tomorrow!

Joe Williams ran soft PERIOD!  He was not physical at the point of contact, didn’t understand down and distance, didn’t drop his pad level to gain the extra yard and put the damn thing on the ground again.  Bummer.  Shyne ran like his predecessor – Bookmode – and Moss might be back next week so plenty of options.

Tyronne Smith gave up on a few plays…didn’t expect the ball out of a couple of breaks and needs to learn to compete on every down.  Probably formed some of this last year but he needs to mature and work his butt off and not take plays off.

Troy McCormick – HUGE heart.  Great effort and electric quickness.  If we find the physical back he’s gonna have a tremendous year.

Offensively we ran the same run scheme all night and most likely chose not to put anything worth a damn on film.  We have 2 extra days to prepare for TDS and they will have to show most of what they have to beat AZ.  We’ll have some surprises for them for sure. Overall much more talented this year than last.

Defensively we missed a bunch of tackles but swarmed all night.  Their O-line got to the 2nd level and tied our backers up a few times but I was impressed with the back half (Porter had a 2 play stretch where he got beat) most of the night.  Marcus is a flat out NFL guy back there.  LB’s had a good night and will improve…Pita is a beast in passing situations!!

Boring, vanilla game but exactly what we needed.  WE HAVE A QB!!  We have a punter, we have speed and quickness.  Get back to their normal, physical selves and we’ll add a Pac12 Championship Game appearance to the resume!!

Next week’s gonna be a blast!!

Anonymous
      Inactive

Joe Williams is now the three or four on the depth chart?

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.