Not meant to trash the Cougs

Viewing 1 reply thread

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

But, I think Utah’s opponent may be as good or better than CC.  BYU has to hype this game as a top-twenty matchup with two undefeated teams.  If I was them – I would do the same.  However, I don’t think this CC team is all that good.  Even BYU homer Hans Olsen said that a 6th place team in the AAC is as good as the top teams in the Sun Belt Conference.  (He said BYU should win by 25.)  CC has done an amazing job considering that they are only in the 4th season in the FBS.  However, they are undersized and lack highly talented skill players.  I honestly think that the Beavers would give the Cougs a better game.

I do believe that this is the best BYU team in over a decade.  They are playing well, albeit against weaker opponents.  How good is this team?  We will likely never know.  But, I do not think they could beat two-loss teams like Oklahoma or Georgia let alone top teams like Alabama, Clemson, etc.  Nonetheless, they have taken care of business and they aren’t just winning, they are for the most part dominating.

Rankings this season are so skewed because there have been so few crossover games.  Had CC played any top P5 teams they would likely have been destroyed and not anywhere close to the top 25.  But, this pandemic year has changed so much including football rankings.  I give CC credit for having an amazing season.  It has been fun to watch.  However, I highly doubt they are even a top-50 team.

Go Utes!!!

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

I don’t think CC could beat any team in the Pac. I think any of the Y’s teams the last 10 years could easily be undefeated with the schedule this year. The previous QBs would also have a heyday if they stepped out of their tougher schedules to play this one. This includes the MWC years. There is no Utah or TCU to deal with. This is a big step down from playing in the current MWC. The relative scores are not useful. When Pac teams play a game with such a lesser opponent, they are happy with a vanilla game plan, play 2s and 3s throughout the second half, and have no interest in running up the score. The Y is different, suffering from an identity crisis, they have the foot on the gas of an aggressive game plan well into the 4th. The Y is simply the only team I know that would care to do what they are doing this year. They benefit from wining a couple of big games last year creating the thought that maybe it is possible they could do this to USC or Wisconsin. I expect they could roll until they play a top 40 P5 team, which may not happen, which will leave us with a 1984 situation again. It is the perfect situation that only independence could allow. But to compare them to Utah or Wilson to our QB, I would need to see both play a game that is similar.

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums They So Poo Poo Not meant to trash the Cougs