Official BYU sucks Thread.

Viewing 4 reply threads

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Here you go. Let’s see if this sticks.

An interesting stat:

LaVell 22-7 vs Utah. Pretty damn amazing. Lavell had a .758 winning percentage. Props due where props are due.

Pre-LaVell. 41-8. Utah won outright 77% of the time.
      Post LaVell. 10-4. Utah has won outright 71% of the time.

It appears that LaVell was a really good coach. And, it appears that BYU is settling back towards the mean.

And, it appears that we will kick their asses this Saturday.

• This topic was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by Utah.

Puget Ute
      Ute Fan
      @pugetute

BYU was very good under Lavell. They also lost their only real rivals in the early years of his tenure. Arizona and ASU left the WAC and Utah redirected to limited AD funds towards basketball. The result of this was byu outspent the nearest conference rival by a large amount. They also utilized the West Coast Offense, which was still new and defenses had not yet adapted to it. Lavell built a great program.

This was a perfect storm for byu. They had a great coach and staff, better facilities, better marketing, and thus had better recruits than every other WAC team.

Occasionally Wyoming, Hawaii, or Air Force would beat them a few times in a row, but most years they steamrolled thorough every conference foe. They were definitely the big fish in the little pond, although their bowl record shows they were usually paper tigers. In the year they were voted #1 their toughest opponent was Hawaii (measured by highest ranking after the season).

But for the fans the winning was all that mattered. Forget that they were bullies, or that most of the WAC teams would be very bad FCS teams today. Forget that an uncomfortable number of players became addicted to the drugs given them by team doctors. All that mattered was blowing through the conference teams, knocking off Utah, and getting back to the Holliday Bowl to face a team that finished #5 in their conference.

In their defense, byu did knock off SMU in a great bowl game. However I am unsure whether that was before or after Craig James killed five hookers. It might have come sometime in the middle, say after Craig James had killed only two or three hookers.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Unfortunately for me I grew up going to all the games in the Lavell era. For years I watched them kill us, run up the score, and pound their chests. I watched them keep their starters in the game when they were up by 30, throwing bombs with 5 minutes left in the game. I learned that their team and coaches were poor sports, and so were their fans. That left a lasting impression on me. I hope they lose every game, in every sport, from now until the end of time.

Onlyu
        Ute Fan
        @uf8fl

Totally agree with Tony…my dislike…no…my pure hatred, comes from being a Utah fan in my youth.  There weren’t very many of us in the 70’s and 80’s based on our lack of success and they were relentless in their arrogance, their perceived superiority and of course our continued failures during that time.  Kids can be ruthless and I wasn’t exactly quiet about my allegiance so I certainly brought some of it upon myself but I started then and I continue to root against them in every situation. Maybe that’s childish, maybe it’s immature but it’s part of me and frankly I love it.  Screw em!  I wish them nothing but losses and irrelevance.

Can’t wait for Saturday and while I think they probably win tonight WHAT IF THEY LOSE!  Season’s over before it starts for them and they go away, disappear (again) until next year of course when The Mangum for Hesiman train starts back up!  If they win tonight we have another chance to cement in-state recruiting with our 6th straight!  Pretty damn big game!!  Go Utes!

Wilson’s Mustache
      Ute Fan
      @sigmaute

BY-who???

rbmw263
      Ute Fan
      @rbmw263

I find myself coming to like one of their players, and then I interact with one of their fans and it instantly goes away. They are really confident about next week, and that makes me want to beat them 1000x more.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Official BYU sucks Thread.