One idea to fix Congress

Viewing 8 reply threads

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

If anyone votes straight party lines, they are ineligible to run for re-election. 

Also, if you don’t vote on >75% of the issues, you are ineligible for re-election. 

UtahUteGuy
      Ute Fan
      @utahuteguy

There is only one way to “fix” congress, and that is to somehow eliminate gerrymandering.

Utahute72
        Ute Fan
        @utahute72

When Arnold was governor in California he proposed using a separate, independant body do redistricting and it was voted down by the democratic majorigy.

Newbomb Turk
          Ute Fan
          @newbombturk

So, once again, it’s all the Democrats fault. Got it.

ironman1315
            Ute Fan
            @ironman1315

No, I think he’s saying that it is both parties’ faults depending on if they are in power or not.

Utah
              Ute Fan
              @utah

I think Newbomb was being funny…I think. If he was, it was fantastic and I laughed out loud. If he isn’t…

Newbomb Turk
                Ute Fan
                @newbombturk

I’m funny how, you mean I’m funny like I’m a clown? I amuse you?

Utah
                  Ute Fan
                  @utah

Yeah, why not? You? I don’t know you. But your post? Yeah, it amused me. I gave it the side eye, it batted its eyelashes at me. I asked it for coffee. It accepted. One thing led to another, stories were told, feelings were fostered….

All told, I left my time with your comment a better man. More solidified in my ideas. More confident in my abilities. And, yes, I did leave with a sense of wonder and amusement. 

Newbomb Turk
                    Ute Fan
                    @newbombturk

Psst….that’s a quote from “Goodfellas”

cjd1
                      Ute Fan
                      @cjd1

Psst….that’s a quote from “Goodfellas”

My response…I got it. lol That is one of my all time favorite scenes in a movie. I watch it on YouTube often.

Utah
                      Ute Fan
                      @utah

Aw man, my snowflake is showing through. I’ll watch this this weekend. 

#ashamed

PorterRockwell
                      Ute Fan
                      @porterrockwell

you gotta say that in your best Joe Pesci voice

deleted
        Ute Fan
        @rolandovich

Great idea…

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

Your first idea wouldn’t work or at least would be a wash so that you could get rid of the big bad republicans because bipartisanship happens, even on substantive bills. (http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/lawmaker-news/271859-bipartisanship-in-congress-some-progress-still-a-long-way). And so long as they can prove on one issue they crossed party lines boom, there goes that. Also, it could very well be unconstitutional.

Your second is problematic because there are a metric s**t-ton of issues that are being voted on at any given instance some substantive, some procedural, some pure fluff. Also, committee hearings can and do conflict with floor time. Further, committee hearings is where the real work gets done anyway. So, if your “issue” is pure floor debate it doesn’t get at the heart of the issue. Also, Congress would never pass a bill like this because it’s terrible policy. And without Congress passing there is no chance a state can pass this bill and pass constitutional muster.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

FAKE NEWS!!!

Don’t bring your facts in here. 

OK, so my ideas suck. Back to the drawing board. ha ha. 

bopahull
      Ute Fan
      @bopahull

I propose not paying congressmen and senators for days they actually vote, and any new law passed would require the removal of one old law.

bopahull
        Ute Fan
        @bopahull

Goes for state legislatures too.

deleted
        Ute Fan
        @rolandovich

No way. They do lots of other things than sitting around voting on stuff. Time spent reading bills is necessary if we want them to read the bills they vote on.

bopahull
          Ute Fan
          @bopahull

exactly, more days reading fewer days voting.

Utahute72
      Ute Fan
      @utahute72

Just saying I liked the idea, and that it’s both parties.

Puget Ute
      Ute Fan
      @pugetute

Public funding for campaigns. Overturn Citizens United. Ban direct and indirect donations to candidates. Increase congressional/senatorial pay to $1M/yr, with a distinct ban on gifts from lobbyists. 5-yr separation between being a congressman and becoming a lobbyist (DJT is working on this one right now, because the revolving door from Congress to K Street is nuts).

This is a good start.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

I like those. I think the funds thing is HUGE. For example, with youtube, twitter, periscope, etc, put caps on how much you can spend on a campaingn. 

For local campaigns, $750,000.

For statewide campaigns, $1,000,000. 

For presidential campaings, $10,000,000. 

I purposely put the local as the highest, in proportion, because those “should” be the most important. Those are the campaigns where real change happens. 

ironman1315
        Ute Fan
        @ironman1315

I think public funding could work but we’d have to increase revenue from somewhere.

I think Citizens United should be overturned or Congress should require open disclosures.

You can’t ban individual donations per the SCOTUS. You’d need an amendment for that or the court to overturn 40 years of case law.

Puget Ute
          Ute Fan
          @pugetute

An Open Disclosures law would be paramount. And that might be the only one that is actually workable.

At the Federal level raising revenue wouldn’t be a problem at all. And you wouldn’t even need to preclude very many back door sweetheart deals to essentially be revenue-neutral.

deleted
        Ute Fan
        @rolandovich

Yep. Enough corporate money in election finance. I’d even let individuals donate as long as it were a fairly patry amount of money (i.e. $100).

Riot West
      Ute Fan
      @riotwest

My solution:

deleted
      Ute Fan
      @rolandovich

Arbitrary and capricious. I’d love it if they voted 100% if I liked 100% of the bills. 

jrj84105
      Ute Fan
      @jrj84105

Have your party count off and divide into two equal groups of odds and evens.

February 11- vote 2/11 as National Odd Number Day.  Odd half of party votes Yay, and Evens vote Nay.

Speaker/majority leader votes Nay.  The odds have now all voted against party line.

February 12- vote on 2/12 as National Even Number Day.  Odds vote Nay, Evens Yay and speaker/majority leader Nay.  Evens have now voted against party line.

February 13- National Speaker/Majority Leader Day.  Majority leader votes Yay, odds and evens vote Nay, and the speaker/Majority leader have now voted against party line.

The same bills are recycled annually.

Viewing 8 reply threads

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Politics One idea to fix Congress