PAC12 Championship 2020

Viewing 5 reply threads

Johnny
      Ute Fan
      @johnny

Every year the Utes must try to get in the championship. There is absolutely nothing wrong with having this goal.

That said, people would assume there will be a huge dropoff because of the seniors leaving.

Not so fast. The Utes have not plateaued, and the next generation Utes are pretty dialed. I expect a 9 win season next season and shocking everyone backdooring into the PAC12 championship.

The Utes will be very underrated next year. Rinse and repeat!

gUrthBrooks
      Ute Fan
      @hammer

I agree. I’m more like 8 win would be my best expectation and 9 is a real good year. Kyle’s d won’t drop off for long, and 4 starters are returning on the o line.

Swoop Doggy Dogg
      Ute Fan
      @swoopdoggydogg

Biggest concern for next year is the secondary. Only returner is Guidry. QB remains to be seen. But I think we’ll be decent elsewhere.

Looking at returning rosters across the conference, USC will be a heavy favorite to win the division, if not the entire conference next year.

Dante Guardi
        Ute Fan
        @danteg12

look at the transfer portal, plenty of good CBs and Safeties, utes are bound to pick one or 2 up. plus Nephi Sewell has lots of time to adjust to a starting role.

Swoop Doggy Dogg
          Ute Fan
          @swoopdoggydogg

Specific concern has to be CB. I’m assuming Sewell will play safety along with Hubert. But sounds like his injury is bad. If it’s an ACL, he might not be back in time for next season.

JJ started as a true freshman. Seems like that would be enticing for some incoming highly recruited corners. I don’t follow recruiting much, so don’t know if the Utes are ready to lock in a high 4* kid.

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

I think we are better than people think. Next year, assuming our QB is decent our offense could be special. We’ve got enough backs to make this work. But as stated above the secondary is scary: we get that figured out we will be in contention again.

4 2

TexanUte
      Ute Fan
      @texanute

My biggest concern is an outdated offensive philosophy of run-heavy early downs and constantly playing behind the sticks. Best time to pass is on first down play action heavy would be optimal. I think the Oregon game goes totally different if not overly reliant on “establishing the run game”. Should have come out and attacked early and often down field.

Swoop Doggy Dogg
        Ute Fan
        @swoopdoggydogg

If you throw an incompletion on 1st and 10, you’re behind the sticks too. So it’s feast or famine. May come down to personel as well. Look at what Utah did in the Suagr Bowl in the first quarter. It was mostly short and intermediate passing game. Maybe we don’t have the receivers this year. Our two best, Thompson and Covey, didn’t play in the PAC 12 Championship. 

FtheY
      Ute Fan
      @fthey

I mentioned this the other day in a different thread, but I think it’s worth sharing again. We will look like what Washington was this year. We lose our two best players at qb and rb and rebuild an entire defense. 9-3 would be excellent, 8-4 I think is the goal, 7-5, like Washington this year, would sting a little. 

1 3

Distantute
        Ute Fan
        @distantute

USC will win the south next year. Very young team this year.

Utesbyfive
          Ute Fan
          @utesbyfive

Oh yeah, I think USC will be the class of the South next year, and may be a top 15 team when the season starts.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football PAC12 Championship 2020