Perspective

Viewing 3 reply threads

Anfernee
      Ute Fan
      @anfernee

Prior to their injuries, last season was almost for certain to be Cam and Kuithe’s last with Utah. So I’m just grateful we appear to have a dominant defense and one last ride with those two studs, even if it’s less than 100%. Soon to appear on the hill like Gandalf and Shadowfax at Helm’s Deep. “Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth day, at dawn, look to the east.”

3 7

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

That’s one way to look at it. Another one would be that the Utes could have gotten a solid, experienced, and healthy QB from the portal to start the 2023 season. It’s quite a big ask to place your season on the shoulders of a guy who’s just coming out of ACL reconstructive surgery. Make no mistake, if Rising suffers a setback or is incapacitated for any significant stretch of this season, we could have major problems.

tanute3
        Ute Fan
        @tanute3

Give me another year of Rising (even coming off an injury) over an unknown transfer QB. Are you really saying this is a question..? We’ve clearly had SO much success with bringing in transfer QBs to start immediately for one season – Brewer and Bentley were great, huh?

1 2

The Miami Ute
          Ute Fan
          @themiamiute

Sure it’s a question…if Rising has a relapse, you’re looking at a full season of Barnes and Johnson as your QBs…how many games do you think those guys are going to win in the PAC over legitimate competition and versus teams that have NFL talent at QB? I’ll answer for you…not very many…

RedUte14
            Ute Fan
            @redute14

if we get Johnson reps, he will be better next year. we can play for the future as well.

tanute3
            Ute Fan
            @tanute3

Yeah, a potentially disappointing season IF Rising happens to get injured again. But with Rising, Utah’s ceiling this year is head and shoulders above whatever a second-class transfer QB would have brought.

1 1

The Miami Ute
              Ute Fan
              @themiamiute

Correction…a potentially disappointing season if a recovering Rising doesn’t play to his previous level..people on this blog are bananas if they think we’re going to see the 2021-2022 version of Rising immediately…if Rising is limited on his running ability, that takes away a large portion of his game…maybe he can be effective functioning mostly as a dropback passer, but we’ve yet to see that from him in his career so far.

cj13
        Ute Fan
        @cjohnsen13

Cam stated that he had decided he was coming back a few weeks before the Rose Bowl game. Injury didn’t sway his decision at all. Hopefully we get healthy soon

TX_UTE
      Ute Fan
      @dleemiller

Hope Johnson gets some quality reps (b/c the Utes are comfortably ahead) as the Big 12 has always been a
      “shoot out game” type of league. Not discounting Barnes’ QB skills but the Big 12 is all about high scoring games. Because of that will be very interesting to see how the Utes version of smash mouth football travels, albeit from a very small sample size of one road game.

As always, Go Utes!

3 4

RoboUte
      Ute Fan
      @hamplate

I’m thankful for every snap Cam has played for us but I absolutely can not wait for this fanboard to remember that the degree hanging on their wall does not say University of Cam Rising.

Anfernee
        Ute Fan
        @anfernee

It’s also not QuarterbackU. And we’ve really only had 3 quarterbacks in the last 30 years that have truly elevated the program . So fans are understandably very fond of thiccboi7.

UTE98
          Ute Fan
          @ute98

Maybe my math is bad, I would consider Smith, BJ, Wynn, Baby Giraffe, Snoop, and Cam all elevating the program. I wish we could have seen Wynn more, but we’re not talking Bob Rice’ grandson here. Wynn put a whooping on ISU. Baby Giraffe had a win against Michigan, and the rest are easy picks.

Three? really?

Anfernee
            Ute Fan
            @anfernee

You’re right about Huntley. I was basically saying REALLY elevated consistently. So Alex Smith, Brian Johnson, Huntley and Rising. Giraffe and Wynn had moments but that’s about it IMO.

2 1

chinngiskhaan
              Ute Fan
              @chinngiskhaan

Yep. Wilson was just a hair above competent IMO. He was a big time competitor, but he was incapable of making the majority of throws he could have made as a QB. Wynn was better than Wilson until he got hurt IMO… but he played against weaker competition, so its hard to say.

PhiladelphiaUte
              Ute Fan
              @philadelphiaute

I have a much higher opinion of Travis Wilson than that. I think he was on of the best QBs to have ever suited up at Utah. No, he wasn’t as good as Mitchell, Smith, Johnson, Huntley, or Rising, but Wilson would have had the “QB coaches” those other guys had, rather than getting saddled with ARod, he would most likely have been drafted. He had the talent. He had the frame. He had a high football IQ. But unfortunately, he also had that awkward, inefficient, side-arm delivery that even an average QB coach would have corrected.

I still put Wilson in the upper echelon of Utah coaches. And if Wynn hadn’t been such a fragile little china doll, he would have made the list too.

The Miami Ute
            Ute Fan
            @themiamiute

Going way back, I would also add Scott Mitchell and Mike McCoy as QBs that elevated the program. Mitchell particularly had a few good seasons in the NFL.

Central Coast Ute
            Ute Fan
            @flip2848

I loved Travis Wilson, but to say he elevated the program is a pretty big stretch.

alUmnUs
          Ute Fan
          @alumnus

Complaining and fretting about QBs is a favorite Utah fan pastime.

tanute3
        Ute Fan
        @tanute3

What a dumb comment hahaha. Imagine supporting your team’s QB – the audacity

2 2

RoboUte
          Ute Fan
          @hamplate

There’s a difference between support and pathetically obsequious fanaticism. Not a thin line either, but even still there’s always someone who fails to grasp even the most plain surface level nuance of any information they come across. Isn’t there ;)?

Kids today call it simping. TBH I just don’t have it in me and I kind of pity those that do.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.