Picking the starter at QB

Viewing 1 reply thread

Onlyu
      Ute Fan
      @uf8fl

The more I think about it…If it is truly a close competition then maybe give them each a half against N Dakota.  It might be a little risky from a momentum standpoint, but throw them in against live bullets against a respectable (but lower division) opponent and see who shines.  Perform in front of a packed house…lets see who takes the job under pressure.

Troy Williams wasn’t dogs**t last year…wasn’t lights out either.  Above average is what I’d say.  I have to expect that’s he’s improved this year over last so if Huntley wins the job I think we’re in a good spot either way.

That said, like Utah mentined below I’d bet on Troy at this point based on experience –  playing at BYU, at AZ, at SC, at Ore, at Wash…it just makes me feel better thinking about having a Senior starter on the road that’s been through some of it.  If it’s Huntley it’s gonna be a little nerve racking until I see what we’ve got.  

The other thing to consider is the depth of the O-line.  We are very good with our starting 5 but really only go 7 deep.  Both Senior TE’s are already knicked (not sure how bad or how long).  If we get banged up at all up front then “escapability” becomes huge.  Huntley has that penchant for making something out of nothing.  Troy didn’t show much of that last year…granted with an MCL for most of the year.  If we have a concern about the O-line then Huntley might be the guy.

Milton Vanderslice
      Ute Fan
      @miltonvanderslice

I don’t think there’s much of a point using North Dakota as the decision maker unless they are going to run the full offense. 

UteThunder
        Ute Fan
        @utethunder

On top of that, whoever takes over in the second half will likely have a pretty good cushion of a lead to work with thus alleviating much of the pressure to perform under live fire. If we don’t have a clear cut starter going into the opener, then that doesn’t bode well for the season. “If you have two QBs, you really have none” and all that.

PlainsUte
          Ute Fan
          @plainsute

Knock on wood re: halftime cushion.

With new oh-fense and the OL postions just settling, I am expecting kind of a slow start.

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Picking the starter at QB