Question

Viewing 7 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

Cristobal’s mother is apparently very ill and it sounds like she is near the end.  He went across the country to see her this week and then flew back.  I know this can be tough and I am sure it is tough for him.

What would you do in a situation like this?  I don’t think there is a right or wrong answer.

Rick Majerus twice left his team (for the remainder of the season) to take be with family who were sick.  One time it was his sister.  I was lucky enough to be with my dad when he died over 40 years ago.  I was with my mom just hours before she passed.  If I had a grandchild who was near the end, there is no way I could not be there for them.

Again, I realize this is very personal.  I am in no way questioning what Cristobal is doing.  I may have done the same.  I just don’t know.  I wish him well during this difficult time.

By the way, my dad would have said, “Go do your job and take care of your children.  That’s what matters.”

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

In his presser Cristobal said his mother would have told him to go do his job, had she been able to speak. I remember that stuff with Rick.

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

Everyone is different. Logically speaking, what good is it going to do him or his mom if he were to stay there? Does his team not need him right now? Of course logic and emotions are two separate things. But he went home and visited and now he’s back to work. After the game he’ll have plenty of time to go back home before the bowl game no matter how this weekend turns out.
      He’s doing the right thing because it’s how his mom would want it.

AlohaUte
      Ute Fan
      @alohaute

Very sad and tough time, my prayers and best wishes for his mom, him, and their family.

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

Common Sense – It’s hard for Cristobal to at least not be distracted. Further, Moorhead is taking the Akron job, no way he isn’t distracted. He’ll be gone after this game. Fired up Utah Team, basically a home game. I like our chances.

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

I see your point. The alternative is that the players will want to win this game for their head coach.  I assume they are loyal to Cristobal and understand what he is going through.

Stone
      Ute Fan
      @stone

I know nothing about your dad other than your post, but he sounds like a great man.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

I agree no right or wrong reason. I don’t want my children to see me die or have that as a memory. I can’t speak for what they would want given the situation. 
      I am also the type of person who wants to be cremated. No morbid casket memories. 

I deal with death a lot though and have seen a lot of bodies last moments. 

Extra Medium
      Ute Fan
      @runningreddude

Family > Work.

Unless your job is to literally save lives NEVER miss a family event for a job. NEVER. Never give a company or organization priority over the most important people in your life. Never sacrifice your life to a company, school, or organization that would drop you without a second thought. If times are tough and your bosses aren’t the first to step up for a pay cut before they consider layoffs, find a new company. 

We work to live. We don’t live to work. 

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.