Questions about this year’s OL

Viewing 2 reply threads

MDUte
      Ute Fan
      @mdute

Anyone with the inside scoop…wondering who will be our starting five across the OL??

From left to right, this is what I think I’ve heard so far: Lomu LT, LG?, Johnny Maea C, RG?, Fano RT.

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

Mokofisi is one of the Guards. Maybe Kump as the other guard.

CB
      Ute Fan
      @solidhobo

My educated guess based on what intel I’ve gathered –

LT: Lomu
      LG: Togiai/Mokofisi
      C: Kump/Maea
      RG: Togiai/Mokofisi
      RT: Fano

MDUte
        Ute Fan
        @mdute

That makes sense…thanks guys!

Onlyu
        Ute Fan
        @uf8fl

Lomu, Togiai, Maea/Kump, Moko, Fano

MDUte
          Ute Fan
          @mdute

Awesome, thanks Onlyu!

ALUF
          Ute Fan
          @dbgii77

Are we getting any more of them from the portal? How is the depth there?

Onlyu
            Ute Fan
            @uf8fl

Honestly from a pure talent perspective I think the depth is as good as it’s ever been on the o-line. The concern would be with the overall youth. I could see adding a veteran who might be able to come in and help in case those guys are slow figuring things out but it’s going to be tough to replicate their size, athleticism and quickness.

In the past we brought in tackle “projects” because most of the time the “tackle ready” guys played for the big schools. Guys who in year 3 might put everything together…Think Bam. Massive, athletic but didn’t play a whole lot of football in England.

Fano, Lomu and Garcia, are not that “guy.”

Add the size and experience of some of the older guys and you have the makings of a very good line.

MDUte
              Ute Fan
              @mdute

Onlyu, I’d love to hear what has you most excited about the roster at this point (biggest areas of strength), what your biggest concerns are (biggest weaknesses), and what type of transfer portal additions do you think we need most to be a true CFP contender this year? TIA!

Onlyu
                Ute Fan
                @uf8fl

Depth across the board. A ton of playmakers on offense. I think both lines are potentially major strengths, especially as the season goes on and the young guys gain experience (and stay healthy).

I’m less worried about RB than most but know we’ll add a body there via the portal. That could be a game changer though.

I think we’re very good at LB…Fotu is a very capable backup and there are others that can carry some of the load. I’m also less worried at CB than some here. One side is locked up and the other has a few really good options. Snowden will contribute somewhere too.

The safety’s are talented but lack experience. Excited about Tao but I also need to see if Ritchie is quick enough in space to be as effective as he needs to be (if he wins that job). Granted he was just off a mission last year but there were times when he looked like he was standing still on the field. Not a knock…he’s a good player but do Hall or Gilman pass him? Safety is likely my biggest question mark. The talent is there but which two step up?

From there it’s the back up QB. Wilson has the arm, moxie and ability to be very, very good…how long will it take him to figure it out? My bet is as soon as he does he’s the 2 (until the portal guy comes in and then we’ll see) because I still question Roses ability to grasp the “complicated” offense against the ones. Rose will have the experience headed into camp so it will be fun to watch who wins that battle. Obviously we need Cam to play the whole season to accomplish our goals.

We’re good man. Need to add a piece or two to provide depth or even be a Tavion Thomas type add that changes everything. We’ll need a break or two somewhere along the line but as of today this is the best chance we have to break through and reach the CFP.

MDUte
                  Ute Fan
                  @mdute

Love it! Thanks so much for sharing!!

Jim Vanderhoof
                  Ute Fan
                  @jvhoofs

Thanks OnlyU. Playoff is attainable this year. Cam has to stay healthy. Looking forward to a great season!! Go Utes!!

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Questions about this year’s OL