Review of yesterday’s games

Viewing 1 reply thread

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

BYU – Portland State

BYU’s offense was anemic at best.  Their defense looked good (not great).  I suspect BYU is better than they showed on Saturday.  However, They have a number of issues to resolve IMO.  There is nothing there to be afraid of.  I think their defense will do well this season.  They may look a lot like our Ute teams of the last decade.

Stanford – Rice

Wow, Stanford looked amazing.  How bad is Rice?  Stanford looked good in all aspects of the game.  They are going to be one tough team to play.  They did what BYU wished they could have done against a lesser team.  It will be interesting to see them play USC in a few weeks.

CSU – Oregon State

Oregon State got trapped in the middle of a very emotional day for CSU players and fans and then the turnovers killed them.  Many say (I don’t know) that CSU is an excellent team this year.  I suspect that OSU is not as bad as they looked in the second half.  I think if they were to play again in Oregon next Saturday, we would possibily see a different result.  Nonetheless, Gary’s defense has to play much much better than that if they want to win games in the PAC12.

A note on the big High School game played this week between Bingham and East.  If you just looked at the score, it appears to have been a blowout and it was in the 4th quarter.  East had 4 costly turnovers (mostly unforced).  I watched the game and I think East is much better than the score shows.  In fact, I know this seems weird, but I think East may be the better team.  However, they are one dimensional on offense.  They are a run team and falling that far behind because of turnovers, was too much for them.  I suspect they will play again in the 6A championship game.  I wouldn’t be surprised to see a different result. (Bytheway, Bingham is an excellent team.)

Larry B
      Ute Fan
      @larryb

I’m trying not to take too much from the PS/BYU game, considering it was their first game and they were probably trying to keep it somewhat vanilla, BUT if they truly are that bad on offense, our game against them should be over by the 4th quarter.

None of their RB’s impressed me and Mangum looked average at best. I’d be surprised if they have 75 yards on the ground against us and, if our backfield is at least half decent, they’ll MAYBE have 150 passing yards.

Again, I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt. Maybe it was first game jitters or rust or something. But they better hope they improve drastically over the next couple weeks. And hell,  maybe I’ll have a different opinion once I see our guys play.

Red Don
        Ute Fan
        @reddon

WR’s that are slow and can’t catch. I don’t think there’s a fix for that and I still think Mangum’s way overrated.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

If I was BYU fan, here is where I’d be worried:

1- Mangum looks the same as he did as a freshman. Happy feet, jump balls, no accuracy. 

2- Their OL and DL were handled by a FCS team. Their tackles were terrible. If that is how good their OL is, we will destroy them. So will LSU and Wisconsin. Like I said before, I think the over/under on Mangum INT’s after week 3 is 5.5. I think I’d take the over. 

3- Their skill players are terrible. RB and WR were both useless vs PSU. 

It is the first game. They may have gone vanilla. BUT, Stanford went vanilla vs Rice….and there was a difference between the two games. 

And if you think you can beat LSU, Utah and Wisconsin…you had better be pretty damn close to as good as Stanford. 

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

I just don’t get much out of that game. Same with Stanford over Rice. The motivation level could be completely different. If I was a Byu player mentally I am preparing myself for LSU. 

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Review of yesterday’s games