Rivalry games can bring out the best and worst in teams

Viewing 4 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

Look at the Ohio State game.  OSU has struggeld on defense all year long.  Maryland which has a losing record scored over 50 points last week.  Purdue another team with a losing record killed these guy.  Yet Michigan which has played great this season has only 200 yards of offense and is getting tjheir butts kicked.  Ohio State has been trash talked for weeks.  Their defense has been horrible.  But, they came top play wioth purpose today for this rivalry game.

Our games with BYU have been unexplainably close almost every year.  BYU has been trash talked, even by their own former players.  BYU is not Ohio State, but I am getting nervous that they are going to come out like they did at Wisconsin and play with confidence.  BYU has lost 5 games, but only two by a large number.  Both of those two are top 15 teams.

On the one hand, I look at our defense and can’t see a way BYU can win.  But, BYU’s defense has not played badly this year.  Their worst game was against a hungry, athletic Aggie team.  I hope we come out strong and take away their confidence and will.

Those of you who are considering staying home tonight when you have tickets – DON’T.  We just won the PAC 12 South, it’s senior night.  We should be celebrating these guys and give them a boost with a loud and excited crowd.  The weather doesn’t look that bad.  The snow has stopped.

Get out there and be loud and crazy in support of our guys.

Go Utes!!!

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Comparing a 6-5 BYU vs a Utah team headed to the PAC-12 title game vs #10 and one loss Ohio St vs one loss Michigan is a little disingenuous. 

Our game is more along the lines of #11 Florida vs FSU. FSU must have forgotten their best. 

Anonymous
        Inactive

The zoobs simply have no weapons on Offense and only have half of a Defense. 

Their Fr QB isn’t going to hurt the Ute Defense with his legs. Mid range throws to Bushman will work a little but will not carry them for the whole game. Their WR can’t match Utah’s DBs in speed or physicality. They have no run game because they’re down to 3rd string RB. 

Their Defense is down their #1 pass rusher. Their Defensive backfield is typical for their program. They do have a strong interior DL and one good LB in Takitaki. 

They can’t match the Utes across either line. 

They can’t match Utah’s depth, speed, size or skill. 

The only way Utah loses is if they sleep walk through this game. 

3 1

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

BUT, I agree with your point. 

Those of you with tickets, get your ass to the game. You wonder why we get passed up by bowl games and end up in the Vegas Bowl vs BYU? 

Its because there is a thought that fans in this state are cheap and don’t follow their teams well. A packed house tonight doesn’t reinforce that stereotype. A half full stadium does. “See, let’s go get Oregon over Utah. Oregon fans will show up and spend money. Utah fans won’t .”

RiseasUtes
        Ute Fan
        @riseasutes

We’ve sold out the stadium for 55+ games, RES attendance isn’t why we get skipped over.  We were packed for Weber and we’ll be packed tonight.  Some people won’t make the game, but it will be 99% full just like every other game I’ve been to this year(at least all the home games).

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

Bowl games were made for one reason: tourist dollars. 

Fan attendance is absolutely why bowl games pass us over and want to do so this year as well. They’d much rather have a team like Oregon who will come early, stay late and drink the time away than a fan base that shows up late, leaves early and spent nothing. 

RiseasUtes
            Ute Fan
            @riseasutes

I won’t argue that at all, just arguing that our attendance at RES isn’t one of our issues.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

I had Urban winning this game unless he got fired. That was the only way Harbaugh would win. I said the same thing all season and was right so take it for what that is worth. 

Utah should win this game because Utah owns TDS now. Roscoe credit to him though he kept them fairly relevant post Lavell. 

2 3

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Oh and as far as not going to the game or going. If people have their reasons they are their own. It is cold and it is Pac12 after dark game. It is stupid I don’t blame Utah so much as the idiot conference that really doesn’t care about Utah. 

Yeah I am not going to attend because it is a needless experience and I don’t like supporting needless things. I just worry Utah gets injuries. 

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Rivalry games can bring out the best and worst in teams