SDSU Tells MWC of exit plans- sort of

Viewing 2 reply threads

12PAC
      Ute Fan
      @12pac

Pretty clunky approach- but may give some insight on media deal timeline and expansion…

SDSU Exit

PhiladelphiaUte
      Ute Fan
      @philadelphiaute

Seems to me that an equitable solution would be for the MWC to extend SDSU’s deadline, but should SDSU opt to leave, they’d be required to pay the $16.5M exit fee, plus a TBD penalty.  The proper allocation over a period of 1 month should be equivalent to about $2.061 million, so for the MWC to be duly compensated, they could charge the Aztecs a premium of up to an additional $3-4M for each month’s extension on top of the current buyout of $16.5 up to a specified agreed upon date.  Such a date could be “July 31st”.  Or upon the finalization of the Pac-12’s media contract.

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

I am not sure there is a senario that the Pac does not want to invite SDSU.  Since that needs to happen the Pac should extend the offer in their own interest.  SDSU, however, would like to know that the schools will stay put for them to take on that obligation. I expect that there is one or two members that are unwilling to provide any guarnteees without final media numbers.  Sadly, this plays out while the Big 12 and possibly some of their partners are hoping, and in the case of a few schools praying, that the Pac / SDSU / meadia deal does not happen. Hopefully, all gets done this month.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

Here’s what I think will happen in 2028/2029. 

Every Big 12, PAC-10, and ACC team will trying to join the SEC or B1G. 

UNLESS

Texas, Oklahoma, USC and UCLA decide they want to be the big dogs again. Then they leave and either create a conference together or two conferences (USC/UCLA would essentially go back to the PAC10 and Texas makes a conference with ACC teams. 

What does that mean now? The P10 needs to survive. And if they can get what the B12 gets without adding anyone, then what’s the point? Everything will be different in 2030. Why add another voice? Why add someone you might need to drop in 2030?

Unless SDSU can take you from 20 million per team a year to 30 or 30 to 40. 

Which I doubt. So I’m not sure what the point is when it comes to adding teams. 

4 1

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

#1 inventory. #2 recruiting trips to SoCal. That’s why you add them.

Utah
            Ute Fan
            @utah

If they don’t bring more money, why do you need inventory?

Why would you add a So Cal team that doesn’t bring more money AND makes it harder for you to compete in So Cal? 

It makes no sense. Unless SDSU brings you a lot of money, there’s no good reason to add them. Especially if you’ll just have to try to kick them out in 2028/2029 if USC comes back. 

EagleMountainUte
              Ute Fan
              @battlegroundute

Agree 100%. All the benefit goes to SMU and SDSU with very little return to other members. Other than keeping the P12 logo I don’t see any benefit. 

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Pac-12 SDSU Tells MWC of exit plans- sort of