Spring practices going well…

Viewing 9 reply threads

Onlyu
      Ute Fan
      @uf8fl

Depth is simply ridiculous…Amy D. Has a story in the DNews tonight that highlights our Corners and well worth a read.

Blackmon, Johnson, Lewis, Smith, King, Guidry, etc. and everyone of them comes back next year (unless Blackmon goes pro after this year).  We are loaded back there.  D-line gave the O-line fits yesterday.  Fotu up the middle, Anae on the edge.  Rex and Mika on the other side.  Hart, etc.  Barton, Thompson and Hansen causing problems with Lloyd starting to figure it out.  Love seeing these guys run and pick up back out…big upgrade with Chase’s speed and add Francis Bernard (90% chance) and you have your real run stopping banger with the size to hold up.  Wow!  Blair, Ballard and Afia in the back…V. Davis has been with the safties this spring as well.

Lo back, Agisiva, Barton, etc. with experience across the front…Running backs left and right and Tyler reading and reacting like a veteran.  Tyler looks very strong so far.  Easily the 1 today and that’s not a knock on Jack.  Tuttle still a little behind with timing in my eyes…very talented but a way to go with game speed.  Got knocked around the pocket yesterday but doesn’t have happy feet and sees the field well…just has to react sooner.  Honestly WR’s are the only question mark at this point.  Not lack of talent…crazy speed and athleticism just need a few to step up including Boyd.  Hurt his ankle yesterday but nothing serious and came back in after Holliday let him have it.  Special teams…hahaha!  Unreal.   4 months to Fall camp…My hell this is exciting!!

Get up and watch them on Saturday…you’ll see a real difference in tempo from last year.

Onlyu
      Ute Fan
      @uf8fl

One more thing…was looking at Covey yesterday and there is no way that damn kid should be on this field!  “5 foot nuthin…a hundred and nuthin.”  Receding hairline, narrow shoulders…You would walk past him every time and think “nerd”…no way that kid is an athlete but that bugger leads, commands respect and finds a way every time.  The leadership and attitude on this team is special…as good as it’s been…ever.  Cannot wait for September!!

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

Thanks for the report. I haven’t seen anything on Bryant Pirtle. What’s going on with him ?

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Pease said this is the best Defensive backfield he has seen at Utah. He also said it could be the best in the PAC. Speed across the board basically sub 4.5 at every position. 

crazyute
      Ute Fan
      @crazyute

I’ve heard Nick Ford looks good at RT. What are the odds he stays and Paulo moves to guard? That would be a nasty o line

Onlyu
        Ute Fan
        @uf8fl

Good question…I think Ford’s body type lends to him being a guard.  I don’t think Paulo moves without injuries.  

rbmw263
      Ute Fan
      @rbmw263

The conference title is there for them if they want it. Long way to go. Excited for the road 

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

Any Update on Bryant Pirtle ?

Onlyu
        Ute Fan
        @uf8fl

Not here full time yet.  He will be a factor at LB or DE once here.

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

ONLYU

Stone
      Ute Fan
      @stone

When you say the receivers have speed/talent, but need to step up, are you nicely saying that they are having problems catching the ball?

Anonymous
        Inactive

I read it as routes and recognition.

I think if it was a question of talent then that would mean a “hands” issue.

Onlyu
        Ute Fan
        @uf8fl

Not at all…catching isn’t an issue.  Honestly it’s toughness or maybe just will and determination.  Ty Smith is a long physical corner and our wideouts have to learn to deal with that physicality off the line.  Johnson plays the same way though not right now.  Sometimes the youth shows and they get frustrated getting their butts handed to them and they sulk.  Carry it over to the next play…They’ll get better each day and Holliday in their ear is exactly what they need.  

Thompson and Covey back in the Fall helps and who knows how Enis responds.  Simpkins playing well…Mariner playing well.  Young guys (Boyd, others) need to learn what it takes to play at this level.  It will come.  

Depth and experience at most every other position.  Tons of depth but not a lot of experience at wideout.

ladyinred
      Ute Fan
      @ladyinred

You are so awesome onlyu! 

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Spring practices going well…