Targeting calls

Viewing 7 reply threads

ladyinred
      Ute Fan
      @ladyinred

Well, I can’t blame the guy sitting near my cousin at the game who blew chunks in the 2nd quarter. It was a nauseating effort by our team.

But what was up with the targeting calls, and why no reviews shown in the stadium? They looked iffy, and they certainly didn’t cost us the game, but they certainly affected momentum. I’m used to seeing reviews on the big board so I’m confused.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

They did show the one where the ASU QB slid at the last second. It was questionable. When it isn’t clear that the QB is sliding it’s pretty tough for a defender to stop and change what he’s doing.

Larry B
      Ute Fan
      @larryb

Targeting is starting to ruin college football for me. They either need to have an “intentional targeting” which is 15 yards plus an ejection and “unintentional targeting” which is just 15 yards, or just get rid of the ejection all together. Neither of our targeting calls tonight deserved an ejection. In fact, I rarely see targeting that I feel was malicious.

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

There was helmet to helmet contact in each in slow motion replays of each.   In the case of the first where the ASU player was diving down in and the Utah player dove down toward him it did not look like he intentially used his helmet.   The second was fairly light helmet-to-helmet contact, but I guess it met the definition.

2 1

UTE98
      Ute Fan
      @ute98

The problem with targeting calls is they are reviewed in slow motion which exacerbates the perception of the hit. If you slowed down every tackle, I’m sure there would be more penalties, football is a violent game.

Run the play at full speed, then make the targeting call, not in slow motion.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

NCAA is alarmed at CTE and eventual fallout. You have olineman that have CTE. You could call targeting on every single down to avoid CTE in Olineman

Or you could allow your kids to not play football and avoid it all together.  

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Or you could allow your kids to not play football and avoid it all together.

That’s going to happen more and more.

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

There needs to be two types of helmet-to-helmet fouls: One called targeting, one called helmet-to-helmet tackle.

The helmet-to-helmet tackle is the one where the tackler is trying to go low and make a proper tackle, but the player with the ball is in the process of falling or sliding or lowering his own head which puts his helmet at the level of the player making the tackle. That should be a 10-yard penalty and an automatic first down.

The targeting call is when the tackler lines up and crown pops the receiver making the catch across the middle, or the QB who has just released the ball. 15 yards, automatic first down, automatic ejection.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Targeting calls