Targeting Penalties

Viewing 1 reply thread

UteThunder
      Ute Fan
      @utethunder

If we are going to eject players for targeting, then there should be different levels of targeting similar to flagrant fouls in the NBA.

So many targeting penalties are questionable, even with slow-motion replay. For blatant targeting(think, crown of the helmet to the facemask), yeah, eject that player. But for so many other plays where it’s questionable, they should still assess the penalty but not eject the player. In those instances, you could eject a player for committing two infractions in the same game.

BulgieUte
      Ute Fan
      @bulgieute

The rule seems unfair but it’s designed to change habbits so it must be strict. Give it a couple more years to achieve its intended purpose then purhaps they will change it.

UteThunder
        Ute Fan
        @utethunder

Right, but there are so many calls when it is clear the defender wasn’t trying to target but the bodies contorted in a way that he ended up “targeting” and he gets ejected. I think the goal of changing habits could still be accomplished with what I proposed. As things stand now, players and teams are being excessively punished in far too many instances.

BulgieUte
          Ute Fan
          @bulgieute

I think they knew this rule would play out like this but thought it’s worth it if it makes things safer. Sacrifices in the quality of the game were made to try and make things safer. I wouldn’t call it a failure yet but you are correct the balance between safety and quality of the game does seem overly skewed towards safety.

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Targeting Penalties