The clock keeps ticking!

Viewing 6 reply threads
      3 13

Uteusmc
      Ute Fan
      @uteusmc

I am in full agreement with Jon Wilner, that if the conference does not come to a media agreement by the end of this month, the likelihood of it surviving is very slim. There is no doubt that they already know the most that they are going to get, but I would bet Anything the main sticking point is getting all 10 teams to agree to a grant of rights contract. More specifically there is no way Oregon and Washington are going to agree to something that locks them in similar to the ACC schools for 10 years. As soon as they get an invite, they are gone and want to make sure they have the ability to leave as soon as it comes.

AZ being coy

1 1

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Have you looked at the interest payments the American tax payer looks to spend over the next decade?  

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

I am in agreement with nobody. Because everybody seems to think they know what’s going on, and I do not.

I can’t worry about something like this. Wake me up when it’s over.

2 2

palos_verdes_ute
      Ute Fan
      @palos-verdes-ute

I agree.  Basically, PAC12 is fighting the notion of super conferences.  Any GOR language in the contract is an attempt to fight the inevitable.  Schools don’t want to be shackled from participating when that next major realignement comes.  Does it really matter if we are in the PAC12 or BIG12?  We just need to reap the most revenue UNTIL that major realignment bell rings.

Roy Rangum
      Ute Fan
      @royrangum

Unless there’s information I’m missing, this feels like an artificially imposed deadline that was created by journalists. While it seems quite possible there will be a deal soon, I don’t think there has to be either.

When you are trying to make a deal, typically it’s the first person to blink who loses. I’m game with klavikoff trying to get the best deal possible however he can. When all is said and done, if it’s a bad deal, then sure, he will deserve the criticism. But I don’t think him holding out for a better deal doesn’t mean he can’t get the deal done either.

None of us know what’s going on until something is officially announced. But what I do know is that in the meantime, the media will talk a lot about it, and the more the fans believe prophecies of doom for the P12, the more likely they become self fulfilling prophecies.

6 1

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

This is all silly. This is what we know:

– Oregon and UW and Utah and everyone else wants to be in the Big 10. As of right now, the Big 10 isn’t interested. 

– The Big 12 is desperate for some real teams. They need real teams, because once 2029 hits, every Big 12 team will be looking to bail to a real conference. 

– The Big 12 would take Utah in a heartbeat, no questions asked. 

– Because everyone wants to be in the Big 10, no one wants to sign a long term GOR. And they shouldn’t. This isn’t a bad thing. It’s a smart thing. 

– Because the length of the contract is short, the big money won’t be there. See: the Big 12. They were supposed to get 50 million a year. They signed for 30. 

That’s it. 

This is reality for Utah: 

Pie in the sky, best case scenario: Time goes by, the Big 10 expands, and they take Utah from the P10/P12/P14/B12. 

Most realistic scenario: The P10/12/14 signs a deal with someone for around 30 million a year, give or take. The GOR expires in 2029/2030 so all teams can pitch themselves to whatever conference comes calling. 

Worst case scenario: Utah goes to the B12 and is instantly the best football program there. 

Absolute worst case scenario/BYU’s dream scenario for Utah: They end up in the MWC. Under the new playoff rules, the six conference champs that are ranked higest and the remaining six highest ranked teams make the playoffs. Given Utah’s tradition and respect, they go to the playoffs every year and either the USC of the new college football world when the SEC/B1G break off or they are snapped up by the B1G/SEC when the break happens. Or the money dries up, USC, UCLA and maybe TX and Oklahoma come back to the P10. 

No matter what happens, Utah will be just fine. 

2 8

DrahtUte
      Ute Fan
      @drahtute

I’m quickly changing my mind on all of this. I really wanted the Pac to stay together but hate to admit the Big 12 is starting to look better to me.  I absolutely hate the idea of joining a conference with BYU in it, but it might be a necessary evil. 

I want football conferences to be about football, and not other nonsense. I’m starting to think that’s more likely to happen in the Big 12 than the Pac. 

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Pac-12 The clock keeps ticking!