Thoughts on Utah vs Florida OL/DL?

Viewing 4 reply threads

22Ute22
      Ute Fan
      @utedagoat

A lot of Florida fans seem to think they’ll dominate in the trenches based on the weight disparity seen below. I pulled this info from a tweet.

“Big size advantage in the trenches to FL.

Projected starters:
      UF’s OL – averages 6’5” 325
      Utah’s DL – averages 6’3” 285
      UF + 40lbs

UF’s DL – avg 6’5” 305
      Utah’s OL – avg 6’4” 315
      Utah +10lbs”

There is something to be said about Utah’s DE’s generally being on the smaller side. Fano and Ellis are both 246. O’Toole was a bit undersized last year imo, but he seems to have put on some good weight to get to 251. Our heaviest DE is Van (6’4 260), and he’s the same size as what most people consider to be a good weight DE.

Here is PFF’s list of the best returning DE’s/Edge rushers in 2023:

Jared Verse (FSU): 6’4 260
      Bralen Trice (Washington): 6’4 274
      Chop Robinson (Penn State): 6’3 250
      Dallas Turner (Alabama): 6’4 242 – important to note that he is listed as a LB, but I think he’s mainly a pass rusher. He is expected to be a 1-2 round draft pick, but he was also a 5 star talent, and draft experts think he is a bit undersized.
      Mykel Williams (Georgia): 6’5 265
      JT Tuimoloau (Ohio State): 6’4 270
      Laiatu Latu (UCLA): 6’5 265
      Brandon Dorlus (Oregon): 6’3 290
      Gabriel Murphy (UCLA): 6’3 260
      Princely Umanmielen (Florida): 6’5 254

Average weight: 263
      Excluding Dorlus and Turner: 262.25
      Average of Utah’s 2-deep (Elliss, O’Toole, Fano, and Van): 250

A 13 pound difference is quite large, and I’ve always wondered why we don’t get bigger DE’s, whether by the portal or HS. We did have Xavier Carlton, but we for some reason wanted to move him to DT. He’s doing well at cal as an outside LB/Edge, at 6’6 270. I still believe in our DE’s, but I do think there is merit to the belief that they are undersized.

Maybe I’m overthinking this?

mfaulk80
      Ute Fan
      @mfaulk80

I think those numbers are skewed. Are they using all players at the position?

Projected starters:

DE – Florida: 6’5″ 254 & 6’3″ 253″ (2nd DE would’ve been 6’4″ 263, but he just tore his ACL)
      DE – Utah: 6’4″ 260 & 6’4″ 251

DT – Florida: 6’6″ 371 & 6’3″ 325
      DT – Utah: 6’3″ 310 & 6’3″ 330

Granted, both positions have a rotation and starters aren’t locked in….but comparing individual players, it’s pretty clear that this basically comes down to a single player.

OT – Florida: 6’6″ 305 & 6’6″ 361
      OT – Utah: 6’8″ 304 & 6’4″ 311

OG/C – Florida: 6’5″ 337, 6’3″ 302, 6’2″ 310
      OG/C – Utah: 6’4″ 316, 6’3′ 326, 6’4″ 320

Making some projections here, but Utah’s starters would actually outweigh/outheight Florida’s line.

So…yes, you’re overthinking it. We were slight at DE last year, but we’re back good weights this year.

Rick
      Ute Fan
      @utebiquitous

It will be a critical match up. I do worry, like you, that our ends are a little undersized. As you said, Fillinger has gotten bigger and Fano will over the next few years. The other ends will be match ups of speed versus size – O’Toole and Ellis in particular.

But that doesn’t factor in the impact of our tackles. I don’t care who it is, I like our interior line against anyone. Looks like this will test that thought. If we win those match ups it naturally opens things up for the outside.

Florida has two strong running backs. They’ll want to establish the run. I think we have the line to shut them down.

22Ute22
        Ute Fan
        @utedagoat

Yeah, the only concern of the D-line is the DE size. I absolutely love our DT’s. Tafuna is a monster, and Pepe getting an offseason to lose the bad weight and improve his technique and stamina is huge. They will be a force. Our LB’s are also MUCH better this year. Reid and Barton finally have experience and are a little more grown, and Damuni is of course a proven talent, who will only play better with a better supporting cast. Medlock has also been getting some buzz, and I believe the hype with him.

As for the O-line, that’s also fine. Our o line has great size and depth. I’m absolutely certain our OL is better than Florida’s, especially since theirs have been banged up and in non-contact jerseys, even though UF fans try to deny this. They also don’t apply the same level of scrutiny over injuries that they do to Cam. For example, their transfer Mazzccua is just getting back into practice after having shoulder surgery, yet they act like he’s going to be 100%.

rbmw263
      Ute Fan
      @rbmw263

i noticed this before the game last year and I honestly think it was a huge factor in the game. Utah was more talented but UF was much bigger and got a lot more push on both lines

AZUTE
      Ute Fan
      @azute

FL Dline is gonna be so gassed by the middle of the 3nd qtr I’m actually afraid for their safety.

Those 400lb fatsos won’t be able to get out of their 3pt stances they’ll be so tired.

The Gator OL and DL spend their entire lives in the south were the air is thick and plentiful.

At 4700’ there just isn’t enough oxygen to keep their blood fueled.

FL will have to rotate at least 8 across both lines to try and keep players some what fresh

This won’t affect skill players as much who are in better condition.

Utah needs long sustained physical drives on offense to wear them out.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Thoughts on Utah vs Florida OL/DL?