Three Deep Offense, Utah and BYU.

Viewing 4 reply threads
      5 2

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

I did this last year and it was fun and I’ll do it again.

I decided to go three deep, to show how pathetic BYU is.

QB – Huntley, Tuttle, and third string would be Lisk or Mangum. Crazy how far Mangum has fallen.
      HB – Moss, Shyne, DHC – I don’t see a BYU RB making the cut here.
      Outside WR – Mariner, Boyd, Enis
      Outside WR – Thompson, Simpkins, Romney
      Slot WR – Covey, Nacua, Collie/Dixon/Fields
      TE – Jackson, Bushman/Falemaka/Fotheringham
      Tackle – Barton, Ford, Paulo, Capra
      Guard – Umana, Agasiva, Havili-Katoa, maybe Hoge
      Center – Falemaka, Toala

So, offensively, BYU would have Mangum as possibly third string, Romney as possibly third string, Collie as a possible third string, Bushman as a second/third string, and maybe Tristan Hoge as a depth OL.

Crazy how far Utah has come. There isn’t a single player for BYU that would start for Utah right now.

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

Warner is a good player… but our DBs are historically great this year, so yeah. 

The one guy I might give the nod to over a Ute is Sione Takitaki. He can get behind the line of scrimmage with the best of them.

1 1

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

I’ll do defense on another day. BYU does have some really solid players there…the problem is, Utah has better players. Takitaki is a great pass rusher, but terrible in run. Basically, he is a Caleb Repp level player. 

I think the starting ends would be Anae and Tafua. The backups are Tupai, Repp, Heninger and Takitaki. Takitaki is good, but he might not even play for us. 

Warner and Lake are safeties. Those are the only other players defensively that have a shot to play for us. Starting safeties would be Blair and Ballard. Afia, Burgess would be the backups. Warner would be fighting it out with King and Mataele for third string. 

Again, not a knock on Warner, Utah has a top 10, if not top 5 secondary in all of college football. Warner is good. Blair, Ballard, Afia and Burgess are better. Hansen as well if needed. 

crazyute
      Ute Fan
      @crazyute

How is Lisk ahead of Shelley who showed better in spring?

RiseasUtes
      Ute Fan
      @riseasutes

I would give a BYU OG the bid over Havili-Katoa.  I thought he played well at DT a few years ago, but I didn’t like what I saw from him last year on the Oline.  The sad part for them is I try to be pretty rational when it comes to BYU, but I really can’t argue with much on the list.  I would put Shelley above our other guys for now though.  I don’t know enough about their returning Olineman to argue one way or another, but ours weren’t great last year.  So if we take the starting 5 at all positions they are in for a rough season.

Larry B
      Ute Fan
      @larryb

I agree that on paper, the talent level isn’t even close between the two teams. However, until we can start beating them by more than a TD, it’s hard for me to say that we are by far the more talented team.

If you look at the rosters this year, the game should be over by the 4th quarter. Unfortunately though, it’s probably going to be another nail biter.

The only thing that worries me about this year is the fact that the game is at the end of the season. It’s very possible that we could be looking forward to a Pac12 championship game, while they are either fighting for a bowl game or just playing for pride.

Hopefully we can just kick their asses and end the debate, but I won’t hold my breath.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

Regardless of score, we can claim to be more talented. Historically, the Utes have competed well and even beaten more talented teams. It’s not all about talent.

That said, I think the zoo’s chances of beating us were best probably this past year and won’t get any easier for years to come.

1 1

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

The last 3-5 years, the BYU/Utah game has been over by the fourth quarter. I did all the numbers on this before, but since 2011, we averaged a two score lead heading into the fourth quarter and have put the game on cruise control. I think the two point  conversion play is the only game since 2011 where BYU has had the ball with a chance to take the lead in the fourth quarter. 

The games haven’t been anywhere near as close as the scores indicate. 

ironman1315
          Ute Fan
          @ironman1315

What about Hill’s last year. That would have been a win had they converted.

RiseasUtes
            Ute Fan
            @riseasutes

That was 2 years ago and he said that was the one time.  Mangum had a shot to tie or take the lead in the last possession last year, but they couldn’t catch the ball or move it a few feet.  We shot ourselves in the foot last year.  I think this year we have to much talent/experience for it to be that close again(at least I hope).

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

Wjat does this year have to do with prior years?

Puget Ute
      Ute Fan
      @pugetute

The Utah team who ran over/through Colorado at the end of the year last year would have devastated byu.  When we played them last year we were still breaking in a shiny new Oh-fense and we looked bad.  Too many miscues, fumbles, broken plays, etc. 

By the end of the year that same team was not settling for field goals from the 3 yard line.

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

You are correct. They had 1 min and 29 secs to go 91 yards. And with three minutes left in the game, Utah was up by 13 points. If your game plan is to score 14 points with three minutes left…good for you  

My point still stands. The games haven’t been as close as the scores indicate. 

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Three Deep Offense, Utah and BYU.