Troy Williams

Viewing 3 reply threads

UteDuke
      Ute Fan
      @uteduke

I’ve heard a lot of mixed opinions from fans about our incumbent quarterback. Troy was a big time recruit out of high school, but hasn’t seemed to show that same ability on the college level. A lot of the blame for last year’s shortcomings may rest on A-Rod’s shoulders, but how much? I like Troy and his commitment to Utah, but my questions are these:

1. Can he be the guy? Does he have the potential to take the Utah offense to the next level?

2. What would have to happen in order for him to make that jump?

Looking first at his strengths, I love the attitude and moxie that Troy plays with. If a Travis Wilson led team went down by 14 points in a game Travis seemed to be hanging his head and was just not in it after that. Williams played very much the opposite last year. He seemed to be at his best when playing from behind. We did see more of the long ball from Williams, and when he was forced to scramble he kept his eyes down field. The guy is slippery too. I recall a number of times that should have ended in a sack that he managed to escape from. 

William’s biggest shortcoming is his completion percentage. I don’t care how good the rest of your team is, you’re not going to win many games against top flight competion completing just over 50% of your passing attempts. Next I would say is his fumble tendencies, followed by his atrocious decision making in any sort of read-option/quarterback run scenario. Some have criticized how long he holds onto the ball, but I personally can’t say one way or another on that.

Now, there are reasons to be optimistic. Last year was William’s first at the DI level. By now you would hope that the game has begun to slow down for him and he has adjusted to the greater talent and speed of the opposing players. He may also have gotten more familiar with the habits and abilities of his receiving targets.

The real x-factor here though is Troy Taylor. An improved offense and QB coach could translate to significant improvements across the board. 

I guess I can really only say I am cautiously hopeful. What are your thoughts? How accurate is my assessment of Williams and his potential? 

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

Another thing we forget is that he was severely injured through most of the year. I Think USC Troy is true Troy since he was injured in that game I think. I am willing to bet he will shock us this year.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

He looked like a different player in the RPO this spring. Much better runner. I think his completion % might just be who he is. But he does a lot of other things really, really well. 

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

He looked like he was trying not to get hit and get hurt worse, if that makes any sense.  Of course it’s probably good for a QB not to get hit… 

UtahFanSir
      Ute Fan
      @utahfansir

As you said, the x-factor is a true QB coach, check, finally; a true offensive genius (at some level anyway), so another check we fans have been clamoring for.

Troy is competitive. Not worried. Then there are two competitive backups. Looks fantastic compared to the last few years. At least to me.

homer
      Ute Fan
      @homer

Couple thoughts, 1st, Travis was a stud. Brought us back for 4th quarter victories several times. Was handicapped by changing O-coordinators. Not saying he was the best passer, but the guy balled out.

Troy doesn’t inspire me. He talks the talk, but last year made a lot of poor decisions, bad throws. Hoping the new offense let’s him shine, but I think by end of the year he might be replaced as starter.

Utes have the toughest schedule in their history, which isn’t gonna help the new offense to jell. My guess is there will be grumbling about Troy and the offense before season’s end.

UteDuke
        Ute Fan
        @uteduke

I agree, Travis was a great player and a true Ute to the core. There were plenty of times last year when we sorely could have used his redzone read-option that had been so effective in 2015. All I was specifically refering to was that when he made a mistake like throwing an INT, or when we went down by more than a TD, it seemed to get into his head.

Troy has a different kind of attitude. He may not make all the best decisions, but he has a short memory for mistakes. That may prove good or bad in the end. That is my point in all this. Is he good enough to be the starter? Will lackluster play lead to Bateman or Huntley being given the reigns?

Daedalus
          Ute Fan
          @daedalus

I’m pretty sure Travis was hampered by high-pressure coaching (e.g. don’t screw up, don’t get hurt), not by being behind a few points.  He didn’t have free rein to play his style, especially after the nose stand.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Troy Williams