TSPP only up 7-0 at half

Viewing 5 reply threads

fosternano
      Ute Fan
      @fosternano

Against the powerhouse of Sam Houston.

After all the crazy drama of Utah joining the BIG 12 next year I would love to see TSPP only win 3 games at most this year and get blasted in conference play. I’m just a touch petty with it 😆

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

I approve this message.

fosternano
        Ute Fan
        @fosternano

They really only have two easy wins this year, granted the current may say otherwise 😆

Year one in the BIG 12 might be brutal for them.

Milton Vanderslice
      Ute Fan
      @miltonvanderslice

Reality hits hard when September rolls around. Those August National Title dreams die quickly.

Ted Lasso
      Ute Fan
      @tedlasso

Meh. Most BYU fans were expecting 3-4 wins this year.

fosternano
        Ute Fan
        @fosternano

Most I’ve seen have been posting how they are the dark horse to win the big 12 this year 🙄

Ted Lasso
          Ute Fan
          @tedlasso

That’s because you’re letting your bias blind you. If you are objective, most fans are rational enough to know BYU won’t be very good this year. Go onto CB right now, they are all talking about how awful the offense is.

RoboUte
            Ute Fan
            @hamplate

>most fans are rational

>BYU

I’ve seen BYU fans unfairly accused of being a lot of things but rational absolutely takes the cake. In all seriousness I think it’s pretty inarguable that BYU is not one of the more sober fandoms in sports. Our poster is overselling most BYU fans’ expectations and you’re underselling them just as starkly.

Ted Lasso
              Ute Fan
              @tedlasso

I admitted that I was underselling the expectations in my post below. I agree that before the season started, most BYU fans said they would be happy if they just made a bowl game. The main point I was trying to make is that most BYU fans didn’t ever expect BYU to win the Big 12 this year. If you go and read Cougarboard right now, a lot of BYU fans are saying it’s going to be a rough year. I’ve seen a lot of posts saying BYU might be last or close to last in the Big 12. The 3-4 wins is based on the first game.

krindor
          Ute Fan
          @krindor

Neither of these takes are true. I’m sure there are a few delusional enough to think BYU can come in and win the Big 12, but there are delusional dumb fans in every fanbase. There are fans I know who think BYU will win 10 games this year (or at least they did before yesterday). But that’s the exception.

However, it’s also not true that most fans thought BYU would only win 3 or 4 games. That’s below the Vegas over/under and BYU fans have never been particularly pessimistic about their chances – certainly not in preseason.

Before yesterday, the most common prediction was 6-6, maybe 7-5. I often said that, given all the change and turnover, I wouldn’t be surprised by anything between 4-8 and 8-4. Given the two easy wins (Sam Houston St and SUU), anything less seemed unlikely. Not impossible, but unlikely. And anything more relied on too many best case scenarios against too many good teams.

I received some pushback on the 4-8 (guessing I’d receive less now), but I’d say the general consensus of most (not all, but most) fans was probably in the 5-7 to 8-4 range.

Incidentally, I’m not sure that I’d (much) change my season prediction for BYU. Absolutely BYU didn’t look great playing against what should have been an easy opponent….but that’s mitigated by 2 major factors

1) it’s week 1 – weird stuff happens. Sometimes it’s a precursor, sometimes it’s an aberration

2) more importantly, BYU didn’t look good. But neither did BYU’s future opponents.

TCU played a sloppy game (10 penalties for 78 yards) and lost to Colorado. Colorado may or may not be a good team…but TCU certainly doesn’t seem to be.

Texas Tech lost to Wyoming.

Oklahoma St had as much difficulty with Central Arkansas as BYU did with Sam Houston (both clearly won….but neither ever seemed in control)

That’s 2.5 games I had marked as likely losses that suddenly seem winnable. Add that to the already-winnable games against Cincy, Iowa St, West Virginia and perhaps Kansas…and 8 wins seems possible. Unlikely and optimistic, but possible.

BYU clearly doesn’t have the horsepower to keep up with the top teams in the conference…but this may be a bit of a down year for the conference as a whole and an opportunity to pick up cheap wins. Maybe that says more about the conference, but it’s still a beacon of hope.

Ted Lasso
            Ute Fan
            @tedlasso

I agree with your take. The main point I was making is the vast majority of the fan base didn’t think BYU was going to win the Big 12 or come close to doing that. But I may have went too far with the 3-4 games. But I’ve personally seen a lot of posts that said they would be happy if BYU just made a bowl game this year, which would indicate that 6 wins would exceed expectations. So I agree with you that 4-5 is about what the expectations were this year.

Crow
      Ute Fan
      @crow

It’s been unbearable living in Utah County as always. They think they are going to be a surprise and win the big12. Going back in time to tell me how they beat Texas and Oklahoma. They will do it again this year.

D T
        Ute Fan
        @azute1

They’ve never beaten a finish ranked UT/OU, which is precisely the sort of UT/OU teams they’ll face this year.

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

I haven’t seen a BYU fan predicting they’ll win the Big12. I also haven’t seen a Utah fan predicting they’d win the Big12 year one (that may change now that it looks like the Big 12 sucks nutsack).

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums They So Poo Poo TSPP only up 7-0 at half