Tyreke Lewis

Viewing 3 reply threads

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

twitter says he is a former Utah commit. So, guess he may not be coming here after all. 

Utahute72
      Ute Fan
      @utahute72

Academics

4 1

gUrthBrooks
      Ute Fan
      @hammer

He couldn’t make grades, twice now. Sheesh man, unless he has a learning disability or something, what a weak excuse for someone with so much promise.

FtheY
        Ute Fan
        @fthey

Yeah, for real.

I lived in the same dorm building as some football players when I first came to school. I’m sure there are student athletes that take it seriously and are incredibly smart – but unfortunately, the sterotyoes around academic standards for athletes are real. 

I was riding the elevator with two athletes once and the first says, man, I don’t know what I’m going to do, I have so much homework to get done. The second one says, really, like what? The first one retorts, I got a write a paper – two pages double spaced!!!! The second one said, no way man, that’s brutal! 

6th grade is the first time I remember writing something of that degree of difficulty, and 9th grade being the last. Life is not about writing papers, but I was surprised to hear the disparity between their workload and mine. 

Like Hammer said, hopefully everything is ok and it’s impossible to know the circumstances of this guy. However, if and only if this boils down to a lack of effort on Tarekes part, there’s no excuse for that given the support, different standards and tutors. Hopefully he gets it figured out. 

Is there any chance he can turn it around, or is it a done deal at this point? 

Anonymous
          Ute Fan
          @anonymous

FWIW…

FtheY
            Ute Fan
            @fthey

Good, glad to hear it. Hopefully he can turn it around. 

Duhwayne
      Ute Fan
      @duhwayne

Let’s avoid broad brushes about players and academics. The environment at Utah is solid. Even years ago I studied with one of the starting safeties after each of us refused to help nonathletes cheat on a quiz. He and I both got As. One of the other starting safeties at the time went to law school and went on to success in other pursuits…

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

Man, sounds like a recipe for a top defensive coach. 

Puget Ute
        Ute Fan
        @pugetute

I also knew a number of athletes.  The gymnasts of course were real scholars and the whole team was on the Dean’s List most quarters, but I also had classes with a number of football, baseball, and basketball players and ski team members.  They put in the hard work, and if they got behind they had free tutoring from the tutoring center or through the athletic dept (I was jealous of that fact, since I had to pay for tutoring out of my $6.73/hr salary, but they also had to train/practice 20 hrs a week in addition to studying…).

Frankly I am more proud of the number of football players we have on the Dean’s List and on conference and national scholar lists, and of the graduation rate of the FB/MBB/WBB/BB/SB/VB/Ski/Gymnastics teams than I am of win/loss records and on-field achievements. 

And FTR I am more happy about the number of my professors who win national awards and get voted to NAS than anything else.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Tyreke Lewis