Utah is boring football for the casual fan

Viewing 8 reply threads
      3 9

User Suspended
      @a2ute

Hate to say it, but I think Alamo, holiday and others will take a hard pass on Utah. Boring offensive football does not attract viewers.

I get it, Utah lost it’s three best offensive players but what we really need is a system/culture that produces at least an average offense – no matter who plays in the system.

I talked with a couple of friends this morning who tuned in to the game last night – These friends have no ties to Utah or the PAC12, just causal college football fans -they said it was almost unwatchable.

Brace yourself for being disappointed on the bowl destination.

Until kwhitt can change the offensive system/culture don’t expect to smell roses anytime soon – let along a decent bowl game.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

I love watching great defensive football. I guess I’m not a casual fan then.

User Suspended
        @a2ute

You love watching UTAH playing great defensive football.

Utahute72
          Ute Fan
          @utahute72

I actually enjoyed watching the Saints/Cowboys game because of the defense that was being played, and I’m not really a fan of either team.

palos_verdes_ute
      Ute Fan
      @palos-verdes-ute

Your friends don’t know football

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Big surprise that statement. His friends probably made some Utah Mormon jokes after their comments to. 

User Suspended
          @a2ute

Lol… on friend did ask me why kwhitt was coaching the game after he accepted the coaching job at Texas Tech… i don’t think he was joking.

Many people lump Utah, Utah St and byup all together.  and they think they all play in the WAC.

EagleMountainUte
            Ute Fan
            @battlegroundute

Your friends sound really informed and intelligent. 

User Suspended
              @a2ute

It’s understandable,

When you live just a few hours away from MI, MSU,ND, tOSU you tend to think of only those teams, the SEC and occasionally  USC and Texas. 

EagleMountainUte
                Ute Fan
                @battlegroundute

Oh I know the type. Joel Anderson of ESPN talked on 700 grew up in Big 12 country and sounded like a complete mouthbreather. 

Are they aware that Ukraine isn’t part of the USSR anymore? Seems they are pretty zoobish and stuck in the 80’s or 90’s to think Utah is in the WAC. 

1 3

User Suspended
        @a2ute

Again, I said casual fan. They tuned in because it was the only game on last night.  They tuned out because what they saw was not entertaining…. I get it.

If you’re not vested into a team you watch for action and excitement.  Two team slogging it thru 3 and outs is unwatchable for non vested football fans. 

Then you add commerical breaks every 45 seconds…. forget it.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

Nothing you said can be blamed on Utah. Credit Washington defense, PAC12 officials and Fox. Fox is the worst at broadcasting they can’t resist a commercial break. 

Xanthis
          Ute Fan
          @xanthis

If this was the SEC they would have said “Did you see that great defensive battle?It was awesome!”

RiseasUtes
      Ute Fan
      @riseasutes

Don’t you live in Michigan?  Mich st and Michigan run pretty similar systems that are more about D than O.  They don’t like watching Utah because they have no ties to it, just like I don’t like watching either of the Michigan teams.  There are only a few really exciting teams to watch in the nation and I’ll admit we are not one of them(I still love watching our team).

1 1

Anonymous
        Inactive

You’re right, and you’re reinforcing his point. 

It is boring. The height of Utah football popularity, thus far, was the Urban years. Yes, because the Utes were winning. More importantly, because the Utes were fun and exciting. Casual fans didn’t need a tie to the school because the football was so fun. I can’t watch the SEC because the football is so boring. People who’ve never heard of Idaho loved Boise state because they were fun. 

RiseasUtes
          Ute Fan
          @riseasutes

I was agreeing with him and now with you.  Just pointing out that the teams these other guys cheer for aren’t exciting for a lot of us either.  

Utahute72
          Ute Fan
          @utahute72

Utah was far more explosive in the Fassel years than under meyer. Think about the big win under Fassel against BYU it was like 54-something. During Meyer, 6-0.

Anonymous
            Inactive

It was actually 3-0, but it was just that game. 

Meyer took a 5-6 team that was going nowhere to conference champs in one year. He did it with few additions and an undermanned roster. 

They were exciting. Utes are not exciting now, they’re more methodical. That’s not exciting and is only usually marginally successful. 

Utahute72
              Ute Fan
              @utahute72

The difference was that we would regularly score in the 40s but give up 50 under Fassel, while the Meyer teams had a Whittingham defense that could make stops.

Anonymous
                Inactive

I’m not sure what you’re saying. Do you think I somehow introduced the fassel years into the discussion?

Meyer’s Offense had Kyle’s Defense, but it was the Offense that drove the casual fans interest. 

2 3

User Suspended
          @a2ute

Nailed it.  Causual fans in for example Michigan would much rather watch Boise St simply for the assumed passing offense – it’s fun.

Way back in the Urban/utah days casual fans where curious to see the dynamic ute offense. Kwhitt football is really only made for Ute fans… very little curb appeal to the casual fan.

I suspect a Sun bowl … or god forbid a Vegas bid.  

RiseasUtes
            Ute Fan
            @riseasutes

Holiday or Sun Bowl are most likely.  I think we would pack San Diego if they give us that bowl.  Sun bowl not so much, but I could see us moving down based on your points, although I think we showed up very well last night.  3-1 Ute fans over Washington was pretty impressive and our side was pretty packed.

Anonymous
            Inactive

We’re in the Sun/Vegas purgatory. Oregon gets picked ahead of us because they play more exciting football. 

User Suspended
              @a2ute

Oregon is just a better national brand. They’ve built and identity of being explosive and fun to watch…even though the reality this year is not exactly that. They’ve earned the rep.

Utah NEEDS to change it’s identity – not just for a better bowl but for betterer national recruiting.

Any high level offensive talent watching last night is running, not walking, running away from any Utah interest. 

Anonymous
                Inactive

Yup. Everything you just said.

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

Yeah, let’s get an air raid offense that’s going to get us to the Rose Bowl…oh wait.

User Suspended
        @a2ute

sigh… here comes the strawman

ironman1315
          Ute Fan
          @ironman1315

Look, if you can’t see the obvious improvement these last two years in both on the field results and in recruiting then you’re blind.

User Suspended
            @a2ute

I definetly see improvement on the offensive side… but that bar is really low.

Can’t go to the Rose Bowl without a reliable offense…simple as that 

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

Amd, seriously, who the hell cares what’s the difference between any of these exhibitions? Not much.

Crazyforu
      Ute Fan
      @crazyforu

Your takes are boring and disappointing.

palos_verdes_ute
        Ute Fan
        @palos-verdes-ute

I feel like he doesn’t know football.  

iamthepreacher
      Ute Fan
      @iamthepreacher

Meh. A few weeks ago when we were fully healthy we were racking up 500 yards a game and 40+ points.

It’s unfortunate, but injuries were the biggest reason for yesterday’s result. Not Whittingham, not Troy Taylor, not the culture, not the officials, etc.

It is what it is. If we end up in the Sun Bowl because of it, so be it.

User Suspended
        @a2ute

I do agree with you on this. What would have happened if our QB and RB where healthy?  I suspect a little better,

Puget Ute
          Ute Fan
          @pugetute

I would love to replay last night’s game with Huntley, Moss, and Covey at full strength, and with UW missing Browning, Gaskin, and Baccelia. That would have been a fun outcome.

At this point I am happy neither team got called for targeting in the 2nd half. The conference needs to be at full strength for the bowls or else we will be embarrassed again.

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

If you hat Utah football so much then go away. Cheer for some other team

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Utah is boring football for the casual fan