Utes defeat NW Nazarine 81-37 – my game report :)

Viewing 5 reply threads

leftyjace
      Ute Fan
      @leftyjace

Interesting game. My take was that the first 10-15 minutes was the Utes feeling each other out, nobody knew who was going to be the dominant player on the team in an actual game situation. But once they got into a flow, it was ON… team looks good.

Starters:
      Devon Daniels – Very, very good ball handler. Pass first, almost too unselfish. Great free-throw stroke. Good penetrator. Think Isaiah Wright but bigger and better ball handler and passer.
      Parker Van Dyke – Nothing remarkable. Solid, but tentative I think.
      Lorenzo Bonam – Still awesome.
      Kyle Kuzma – Believe it or not, seems to be greatly improved in patience and ball handling. Dude’s gonna have a beast year this year.
      Jayce Johnson – was winded quickly. I think the nerves really got to him in the first half. He was gasping for air a lot. But in the 2nd half, he turned it on and became a rebounding machine. The dude was everywhere. Played really well in the 2nd half. Has a weird, strange free-throw stroke. Not sure he’ll be a good free-throw shooter ever.

Bench:
      JoJo Zamora – He is going to be a good player. Good penetrator, good ball handler. Played a lot in the 2nd half.
      Jake Conner – Holy cow, this dude is a SCRAPPER. I mean – reminds me of an Irish brawler. Decent outside shot, good defender.
      Tyler Rawson – THIS DUDE IS GOING TO BE AWESOME. Blocking shots, rebounding, catching crazy passes and throwing them up and somehow getting them in the basket. Dudes – this guy is seriously a major gem. He is polished, he is skilled, and he is going to be a very, very valuable contributor on this team.
      Gabe Bealer – had some GREAT baseline drive penetrations to the basket. Also had a sweet 3.
      Marc Reininger – another big body. Obvious Freshman, though. But still a big upgrade over Reyes, even as a Freshman.
      Jakub Jokl – Soft hands, decent defender. I think he’s got skills, just needs seasoning.

Overall Impressions:
      WE CAN NOW PENETRATE EFFECTIVELY. Seriously. Zamora, Bonam, Daniels – everyone can keep it together as they penetrate.
      Our bigs are going to be a major, major strength the next few years. Seriously. Jayce Johnson by the end of the game was showing why he was a major prospect. The other guys have obvious skills. This is going to be fun to watch!
      Kuzma is going to be talked about in the first round if he keeps playing like he did tonight. He was a man among boys out there. Ya, I know, the competition… but still.
      Guys, the new players are GOOD. It is now obvious to me that the reason everyone transferred is that we have more size, more speed, better ball handling, and some great skills. The old guys wouldn’t get playing time, even from these Freshmen. They were that good.

IT’S GOING TO BE A PRETTY GOOD SEASON! I am now very optimistic. Yes, it was just one game, yes it was against a small school in Idaho. But they had some size, some of their people had a little bit of skill, and the Utes did well.

UteBacker
      Ute Fan
      @utebacker

Awesome review!  You have me totally excited to see this team.  I had no idea what to expect from this almost entirely new group.  We played an inferior team but at least we did exactly what we supposed to do.

Anonymous
      Inactive

This is great, thanks!

I’d upvote your post, but I don’t have an upvote button.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Thanks for the report.  Did you factor in the level of competition in this?  Not exactly Arizona.

leftyjace
        Ute Fan
        @leftyjace

Yes, I did. The papers said they were small, but they had a little teenie bit of beef, including one guy that had some good size and length. I tried to qualify my comments by referring to the competition, but… still plenty to be excited about.

AZswayze
      Ute Fan
      @AZswayze

Thanks Jace! Was only able to watch the first five minutes or so, and appreciate the breakdown.

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

Sorry to be the wet blanked but I’m not as high on this team. I saw a team that can’t hit the ocean from a boat from 15+ feet and turns the ball over like crazy (something we’ve seen a lot of recently). The bigs were dominant…against an undersized opponent.

On the plus side:
      – The first game of the year is generally pretty poor, especially with a new team.
      – They’re getting some good players in December.
      – They’ll gel and hopefully cut down on the turnovers.

I’m still very excited for the year, just not prepared to draw conclusions after this victory.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) Utes defeat NW Nazarine 81-37 – my game report :)