P12 weirdness again.

SalUteopia
      Ute Fan
      @saluteopia

Stanford WR drops an easy 4th & 2

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

Yeap, and that play could have gone for a long gain. Stanford had the entire UW defense fooled and no one was around him. Such go the breaks of the game.

SalUteopia
          Ute Fan
          @saluteopia

Great play call, stupid drop. Speaking of Stanford, I never got why Troy Taylor got so much fun made of (“iPhone offense”) at Utah. He didn’t fit the typical Utah mold, but his O at Stanford (and previously at Sacramento St) seems decent.

2008 National Champ
            Ute Fan
            @cptmrgn05

He’s got a good scheme. At Utah, I had two main complaints: 1) he seemed to come up with a new formation package every week, which he doesn’t do anymore and 2) he would go away from what was working for no apparent reason.

I remember the 2017 game against Stanford. Moss and Henry-Cole were running all over them and Utah was down 3 late in the 3rd quarter with Williams at QB. The next 20 some plays were all passes for very little success and Utah ended up losing a very winnable game.

SalUteopia
              Ute Fan
              @saluteopia

I see. Admittedly, I don’t understand football on this level, so your explanation is helpful.

Roy Rangum
              Ute Fan
              @royrangum

One of my complaints was that it felt like Troy Taylor wanted to run his system whether or not he had players well suited to that system. While I get that a team needs to have an identity for how they play, I feel like the best coaches find ways to best utilize the talent they have, rather than trying to force their talent to be square pegs in round holes.

2008 National Champ
                Ute Fan
                @cptmrgn05

Taylor was also the last in a long string of what felt like a new OC every year and his scheme was radically different than what anyone was used to. There was always going to be a certain segment of the fan base that didn’t like how he did things, but if we are being honest, that’s going to be true no matter what happens.

2017 Taylor took a lot of them blame for things outside his control. 5 new starters on the O Line as the 2016 version all went pro. Moss and Huntley were first-time starters as true sophomore’s. Huntley went down for 2 games which forced him to go back to Williams who was less accurate and less suited to a quick passing game. The team lost 6 of 7 games after 10 and 9 win seasons the two years prior. At that point we were all trained to blame the OC and he was the guy in the position.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football UW at Stanford upset alert