Very good win yesterday, but far from mistake free …

Viewing 3 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

A few thoughts:

– We got off to a great start, but when Oregon made changes we didn’t compensate and lost momentum

– Shyne did a great job in the open field.  Great game overall.  The last drive was a thing of beauty.  However he missed the hole on two different goal line runs.

– JJ did a great job in coverage.  When we put him on 13, we shut him down.   We need to consider this next week against CU’s AA receiver.  He is their only weapon.

– Shelley was good in his first start and did some really impressive things.  But, we will face better defenses than OU.

– The blocked punt is mostly Mitch’s fault IMO.  He took too many steps before kicking it.

– Gay was amazing.  Too bad he had the two blocks early in the season.  But, we don’t want him kicking 6 field goals.  That means we blew it.

– Our red zone offense was pathetic.  We need to get this fixed.

– Our linebackers were amazing!!!

– I think our tight ends caught ten passes.  That was fun to see.

Nice win.  I wish it was a little less stressful, but I certainly will take it.

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

I read that on the blocked punt, Ford missed his block and that’s why it was blocked. 

1 1

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

I said “mostly” on Mitch.  The block should have been better.  But, Mitch took a couple of steps and was slow in getting it off.  Deep in our own territory is not the time to take some steps and do the Aussie punt IMO.  

gothamute
        Ute Fan
        @gothamute

If you go back and watch the replays, Ford didn’t *miss* the block per se, but his blocking assignment beat him on the initial push at the point of contact and then kept pushing him backwards (which should definitely not happen because Nick outweighed him by probably 50 pounds). Because Mitch was going to kick another one of those low line-drivers (like the one in the first half that with the roll ended up being a 68-yd punt), the trajectory was low enough to find the defender’s hand (2 inches either direction and it would have been totally fine). Yes, MW took too long to unload, but I’d say 80%/20% Ford’s/Mitch’s fault.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

I don’t think colorado’s or byu’s defense is better than Oregon’s.  So are you saying we’ll face better defenses next season?

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

Oregon’s defense is injuted and bad.  I think Colorado and BYU have as good of defense as the Ducks.  But, the point is the PAC 12 championship game (hopefully) and the bowl game.

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

The red zone problems are a result of Shelley’s inexperience. Give him another week and I bet we will get better. You know what they say, the most improvement happens between weeks 1 and 2. 😉

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Very good win yesterday, but far from mistake free …