What is the greatest game in Utah Football history?

Viewing 9 reply threads

UteDuke
      Ute Fan
      @uteduke

The 2009 Utah vs. Alabama Sugar Bowl game was playing earlier on the PAC-12 Football in 60. It is easily one of the most mentioned games, is it the best game in Utah Football history? If not, or even if so, what are some other candidates that should be considered?

BulgieUte
      Ute Fan
      @bulgieute

September 10th, 2011. It was a loss but it was the begining of a new era. I love going back to the bjg wins of the past but nothing is as substantial as the Utes playing in the PAC12.

USC 23

Utah 14

rbmw263
      Ute Fan
      @rbmw263

2 of the most surreal for me was the Sugar Bowl and last year at Autzen. Was lucky enough to be at both. I know that Oregon w gets discounted because Oregon was “down” but really, their only other losses came by 3 @MSU, to a Wazzu team in 2OT (who actually ended up being pretty good), and in 3OT to TCU. That was an insanely impressive win. Talking heads spoke about how many other P12 teams were chomping at the bit to get a shot at Oregon, sighting likely blowout outcomes. It never happened. That was still a very solid Oregon team that we absolutely smoked on their home turf.

Utahute72
      Ute Fan
      @utahute72

It’s still 1972 against Zona for me. That comeback is still amazing.

Tacoma Ute
      Ute Fan
      @tacomaute

My favorite game is the Sugar Bowl butt as far as pure excitement these come to mind:

The 94 and 03 CSU games

AFA 2003

Minnesota 1990 I think it was. I’m still kicking myself though. I turned it off in frustration as Minny was setting up for what I thought for sure would be the game winning field goal. I didn’t even find out we won until I heard Jon Carter and Dan Bamas talking about it Monday morning. I didn’t even see a clip of the final play until 3 or 4 years ago when it surfaced on YouTube.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Sugar Bowl

UteThunder
      Ute Fan
      @utethunder

I think it is hard to say which game is the greatest if you don’t first define what you mean by greatest. Is it most exciting finish? Win over biggest name opponent? Win that led to a big season? An unexpected outcome? A landmark type win?

Not really having a set criteria for what defines greatest, here are some nominees:

2004 Texas A&M – Put the nation on notice that Utah was great and it was the beginning of an undefeated season.

2009 Alabama – One of the biggest name opponents we have ever beaten on one of the biggest stages we have ever played on and probably the best team we have ever beaten.

2008 TCU – A huge game that was won in dramatic fashion over a great opponent and helped propel us to the Sugar Bowl.

2013 Stanford – A totally surprising win over a #5 ranked conference power while we were in a down year during our transition into the Pac-12.

1988 BYU – A dominating blowout over the Cougars during an era when Utah rarely won the rivalry game.

1993 BYU – The first 34-31, Utah’s first win in Provo in two decades and it was the win that turned the tide back in Utah’s favor.

1994 Arizona – Utah’s first bowl win in 30 years and it was against a top 15 team, it resulted in a top 10 ranking for Utah which at the time was unbelievable.

2003 BYU – Clinched Utah’s first outright conference championship in over 45 years, also ended BYU’s non-shutout streak.

2011 Oregon State – Utah’s first conference win as a member of the Pac-12.

There are plenty more that could be nominated but these are some of the more significant games that standout in my mind for the reasons I have listed.

If I had to pick just one, it would come down to 2004 aTm & 2009 Alabama with the Sugar Bowl win getting the edge because of the venue and Bama being the better opponent.

Tacoma Ute
      Ute Fan
      @tacomaute

I knew I’d forget some obvious ones. The TCU and OSU games in 08, the bowl against Arizona, the first 34-31 game, the 57-28 game.

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

A couple less-than-obvious ones:

2003 Utah St. – Urban’s first game as head coach. The beginning of a new trajectory for the program.
      2011 USC – For the reasons @BulgieUte said above.
      1995 Air Force – My first-ever Utah game as a new arrival on campus. Utah with the comeback to win by 1, and I was hooked. Other than my mission years, haven’t missed a game since.
      1999 Utah St. – The game where I met my future wife. I still remember my first sight of her in the student section (no MUSS back then)…looking beautiful in the setting sun, a block U painted on her cheek. I know we won the game, but I barely watched a single minute because I was so smitten by this fallen angel. It was well worth it – we’ve watched many hours of Utah football together in the years since.

My point is, what makes a game “great” is largely personal.

TexanUte
      Ute Fan
      @texanute

Sugar Bowl win over Bama.. Hands down IMO especially with Alabama’s success this decade. Was arguably there worst beat down in the Saban era.

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football What is the greatest game in Utah Football history?