Which Current Ute do you Think Has the Best Chance at the NBA?

Viewing 3 reply threads

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

Since a few posters have submitted comments regarding current Utah MBB players, I thought I’d post one of my own. So, which current Ute do you think has the best chance to play in the NBA? After sitting down and doing some analysis, I personally think Gabe Madsen probably has the best chance of sticking with an NBA team. Why do I think that? Well, he’s got good size for a Guard. He can move and handle the ball well. Most of all, he has really improved his shot selection and accuracy (so far this year, Madsen is shooting 55% on 2-PT shots and 46% on 3-PT shots). The way the NBA game is played now, there’s always room on a roster for any guy that can shoot 3s at a 40+ percent clip.

Minnesota Ute
      Ute Fan
      @minnesotaute

Cant disagree on Gabe, Keba is the other, and maybe Brandon but I see him more likely having a nice career overseas

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

Yeah, we talked about Keita and Carlson on the other post. Keita has to do a lot of work to get NBA ready. He might have the physique but he doesn’t handle the ball well and has no outside shot. Once upon a time, there was a role in the NBA for a guy who could just rebound or play defense. That’s no longer the case. Now, it’s all about spreading the floor and shooting 3s. I mean, it’s quite possible that if a guy like Rodman existed now, he wouldn’t even get a sniff of an NBA roster. I agree with you that Carlson’s best bet as a professional would be to go overseas and play in Europe ala Jaycee Carroll. However, based on his family situation, I’d guess that Carlson probably hangs up the sneakers after this season and becomes a civilian.

Jim Vanderhoof
      Ute Fan
      @jvhoofs

I agree Miami. Madsen can shoot with best. He would get destroyed in the pick in role. Doesn’t have the length or size to guard bigger players. Carlsen interesting size and can shoot. Holmgren has similar skill set and is playing good. Smith reminds me a little of Sexton with the Jazz. Keba can’t shoot.

All four could be considered prospects. Great question my friend. Each bring a different element. I would have go with 1.Carlsen 2. Madsen 3a Smith and 3b Keba

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

I’d never expect Madsen to be a starter in the NBA or even to play much defense or get major minutes. I envision him as a guy like Vinnie Johnson from the Pistons (remember him? Had the coolest nickname: The Microwave) who could provide instant offense from the bench.

belli1976
          Ute Fan
          @belli1976

Madsen is nothing like, The Microwave. Vinnie could play D as well get quick points. He was a mid range and bull doze to the basket guy.

The Miami Ute
            Ute Fan
            @themiamiute

Did you read my comment? I specifically used the words “instant offense” to envision Madsen’s role in the NBA and that’s exactly what Vinnie Johnson was, instant offense. I never mentioned that they were similar players in style but they could be in function.

Kellso
      Ute Fan
      @kellso

Who knew Kuzma was going to play like a monster in the NBA? It’s hard to tell. But, watching this team there will be three possibly four that will get a good look.

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

That’s true but remember that Kuzma was drafted in the 1st RD. So, the Lakers obviously saw something in him.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) Which Current Ute do you Think Has the Best Chance at the NBA?