ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

My thoughts

– Gay

– Carrington

– A healthy Hansen

– Possibly our punter

Outside of that, I don’t think there is anyone on our 2017 team who could start at Alabama.  Our D-line was suppose to be one of the best in the country, but they underachieved and Alabama has some studs on the D-line.  I think Johnson could start in the future, but injuries held him back this season.  2018 was a different story.  We had a couple of offensive lineman who would have started anywhere.

If we want to be able to play with the best, we need to get even better at our recruiting.

Go Utes!!!

AZUteFan
      Ute Fan
      @azutefan

Same thing could have been said in 2008 when comparing Utah & Alabama. The difference is in 2008 is we had solid QB play. BJ wasn’t a world beater by any means, but he could beat a team with his arm. Biggest knock on Whit has been the inability to recruit/develop the QB position and until we do so, we will be a middle tier PAC 12 team for the foreseeable future.

UTE98
      Ute Fan
      @ute98

I’m not disagreeing with you spot in the starting lineup vs. our starters, however I seem to remember a defensive lineman for Alabama who played very very few snaps in the game against Utah. He was a space eater, and Utah’s offensive plan never let him get fully utilized. Guy was so far behind every play they finally switched to faster players.

Found the guy, Terrance Cody, 6’4″ and 345 pounds.

I guess I could technically say Utah’s 3rd string QB, Cooper Bateman, started a game for Alabama. And that could be argued either way since Alabama’s Freshman QB came in to win it. So… not apples and oranges vis a vis starting spots.

I think Lotuleilei, Fitts (healthy), and some of our DBs were good enough for consideration for this argument. On offense… Perhaps Carrington. Gay, is a no brainer.

KiYi-Ute
        Ute Fan
        @kiyi-ute

Mount Cody!

Kid was not small.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I don’t know about starting, so I’ll just say who I think would get real game reps.

Both kickers.
      Zack. Darren. Bradlee. Leki. Jaylon. Chase. Javelin. Flip. Lowell.
      I might be missing one or two. EDIT: Julian.

I think these players would see reps.

Duhwayne
        Ute Fan
        @duhwayne

Agree, Igloo. Only way to know if they are that much better is to play them. And that isn’t going to happen.

TexanUte
      Ute Fan
      @texanute

Paul Kruger would have started for then or now Alabama from the 08/09 Sugar bowl team. Star Loutulelei would have started on 08/17 Alabama teams. Gay and Aussie punter guy would start on any Alabama team of the past decade.

TexanUte
      Ute Fan
      @texanute

Whittingham wouldn’t be able to start for Saban though.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Which Utah players could start at Alabama