Yogi Roth interview

Viewing 1 reply thread

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

Yesterday afternoon I was out running errands and picked up the last half of an interview with Yogi Roth on ESPN 700. There were a couple of interesting tidbits.
      1. Isaac Wilson making it as an Elite-11 finalist is a big deal. (Yogi is part of the Elite-11 program, so he has some bias.) He pointed out the other schools that had a commitment in the Elite-11 which included teams like Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, etc. He pointed out that USC, Oregon, UW, and UCLA did not have a commitment in that group.
      2. He said in this day and age, commitments will change and even if they end up at the school the player may not finish there. He predicts that at least 50% of the QB commitments for 2024 will not end up finishing their college career at that school.
      3. He said that only five 5-star QB recruits have ever been an NFL starter. This is crazy but goes to show you the flaws in the star ratings.
      4. When asked about Utah’s weakness going into this season – he concluded it was probably at WR. This is not a surprise to anyone on this board. He did say that he likes Mycah Pittman and that he thinks he could be a difference-maker for Utah.
      5. Yogi believes that the PAC12 will survive. He claims to have had discussions with most of the conference ADs in the last few weeks. (Obviously – no one knows for sure. I will wait to see what happens. I believe that the Utah football brand is very good right now and we will end up fine. We have been to four NY6 bowls in the last 20 years. I suspect that puts us around 15th among P5 schools.)

1 3

Waybackutefan
      Ute Fan
      @waybackutefan

Only 5-star QB recruits have ever been an NFL starter? Thats patently untrue. Alex Smith would like a word. 

ryynoo
        Ute Fan
        @ryynoo

I read the same meaning but I think he meant only 5, 5-star recruits…

8 3

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

reading fail

Waybackutefan
          Ute Fan
          @waybackutefan

Ok sure btw how’s that prove me wrong and I’ll let you rename me contest going you posted like 200 times? Got a winner yet?

chinngiskhaan
            Ute Fan
            @chinngiskhaan

LOL… take a deep breath and relax big guy. It’ll be okay. You misread the post, it happens to the best of us.

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

Sorry if I did not make that clear.  I was trying to say of the 135 5-star QB recruits, only five have become NFL starters.  That shocked me.  He has said before that only one 5-star QB was a starter on a Super Bowl winning team.  In fact, Yogi wrote a book about 5-star QB recruits called, “5 Star QB.”

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Yogi Roth interview