Viewing 4 reply threads

Utes 69
      Ute Fan
      @slc123

On a real good note. TDS gets another whopping

TX_UTE
      Ute Fan
      @dleemiller

And CB is in complete meltdown! Don’t they have $$$ like TAMU to pay off the coach and staff?

UteBacker
      Ute Fan
      @utebacker

Fixed the category for you…

3 1

DrahtUte
      Ute Fan
      @drahtute

Seeing just how bad they are makes me wonder a few things.

When Kalani was a defensive coordinator under Kyle, he looked every bit as good as Morgan does now. But it turns out Kalani was not actually a good coach at all.

Could we wind up just as disappointed in Morgan if he gets the job when Kyle retires?

7 1

RoboUte
        Ute Fan
        @hamplate

BYU insiders will tell you that he’s generally a good coach but doesn’t run a tight ship. They’re concerned about the lack of discipline on the Sitake teams. The general media and fandom take this at face value, but as Utahns we know that this is a dog whistle for the way the team is being run and it’s accordance with a very certain doctrine. BYU is a point of pride and right now the hush hush sentiment over there that things aren’t being… done right off the field.

Which I find incredibly satisfying. There’s a very literary schadenfreude feeling to watching someone you hate slowly compromise every moral and ideal they have for absolutely no return. They aren’t the BYU most fans remember since 10 years ago and what do they have to show for it? A dogfight over 13th place in an unusually weak year of a 14 team conference. With a senior QB. Life is beautiful.

What they don’t know is that it’s probably the only thing keeping them as talented as they are (not very). With the honor code being in place, the complete lack of a college culture at BYU, and Provo being quite possibly the least desirable destinations for a college kid in all of America, the fans are going to find themselves in dark acceptance of mediocrity as a rule in p5 football.

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

Sitake is a good man, but Scalley is the better D coordinator between the two.

9 1

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

Our worst defenses with Whittingham, Sitake, Scalley and Pease as defensive coordinator was Sitake and it wasn’t close. Our worst recruiting was with Sitake and it isn’t close.

I don’t get where all this “he was a great defensive coordinator” talk comes from. It’s no small secret that Whitt was heavily involved with the defense when Kalani was here. It’s no secret the defense got better when Kalani left. It’s no secret that his defense at Oregon State was awful. And he has been bad at BYU as a HC.

He’s not a good coach. He’s not a good recruiter. There’s really not a debate here. I really like the guy, but there is no need to have him back at Utah. We have better coaches than him here. I’d much rather have Scalley than Sitake and I’d rather have Jay Hill or Colton Swan or Shah at DC than Sitake.

DrahtUte
          Ute Fan
          @drahtute

Who on earth said anything about wanting Kalani back at Utah? I used pretty plain English saying he’s turned out to be a terrible coach.

Whitt made Kalani look a lot better than he was. Whitt may be making Morgan look a lot better than he is.

You and I are remembering our first few seasons in the PAC 12 very differently. We had no offense – only our defense kept us in games. Our defense during that timeframe was a lot better than you’re giving them credit for.

Like it or not, Kalani was a very respected coordinator when he left Utah. No kidding Whitt was heavily involved in our defense – that was my whole point.

Roy Rangum
            Ute Fan
            @royrangum

I’ve heard it said that when Kalani was at Utah, Chris Hill thought very highly of him (and perhaps was the heir apparent after Whitt). That said, Gary Anderson was once a highly sought after coach too, up until he totally flamed out. But I think it’s hard to judge sitake because of all the baggage BYU brings and how hard it must be to recruit there. As he seems like a good guy, I wouldn’t mind if Sitake managed to go elsewhere and found success. But I also don’t mind that BYU is getting the snot kicked out of them this season too.

fosternano
      Ute Fan
      @fosternano

They are going through the roller coaster of playing good teams every week in a P5 conference.

Fun to see them go through it, and how they were convinced they wouldn’t have any major issues 😂

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.