ASU was stealing our offensive signals

Viewing 12 reply threads

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

We have negative yards rushing for over 3 quarters… Tackles for loss all over the place.

Suddenly the team decides to start HUDDLING for the first time this year? WTF? And Wilson was walking to the bench to get the plays? Why?

Think about it.

As soon as we started huddling we dropped 20 straight points on those ASU bastards. They didn’t know what our plays were going to be.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Not again didn’t TCU crack the code awhile back? What game was it last year where Utah had to cover up the signal caller?

rbmw263
      Ute Fan
      @rbmw263

Wilson definitely started getting the play calls by mouth later in the game. I was wondering how EVERY single run play they brought 8 guys to the LOS so fast……

Anonymous
      Inactive

ASU blitzes about 87% of time.

rbmw263
        Ute Fan
        @rbmw263

61%. But for the first 3 quarters or so it felt like they blitzed on 100% of our run plays (and brought them to the gap we tried to hit)

• This reply was modified 8 years, 6 months ago by rbmw263.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Yes they do.

Torg
      Ute Fan
      @torg

Ah… Now that makes sense. I’m over in the muss, and there were a few of us wondering why Wilson had to keep going over.. Dirty devils. The worst part about them last night was their fake injury stalls.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Yes. They bagged the sign and they were telling Wilson the plays from a couple of feet. He was telling the O the plays in the huddle. Suddenly we drop 20 unanswered points on the board after that. Coincidence? Maybe.

YodaUte
      Ute Fan
      @yodaute

At first blush this seems downright despicable. Another reason to hate those guys.

But, isn’t code-breaking a crucial aspect of any war effort? There’s a reason coaches use elaborate poster and hand signal schemes to communicate the play call. If ASU was stealing our play calls, the failure is on our coaching staff for letting it happen.

What I wonder about all this is, why do we even need to go no-huddle. Utah’s offense gains nothing by this copy-Oregon-and-go-fast offense. Go back to using the huddle. Take a little longer and give your defense a chance to rest.

Anonymous
        Inactive

Well Wilson has had success both ways. But I agree huddle up.

Jeromy in SLC
        Ute Fan
        @jeromyinslc

Going no huddle, even if you milk the entire play clock, means you preventative defense from making substitutions based on your personnel package. Teams are countering this with pre-planned substitutions based on down and distance, or just to give guys a rest. But if you are at the line ready to go, it removes their ability to substitute with purpose.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

I think they should send up fake calls. Make the D who is stealing them think we’re running a sweep left and then throw right or something!

Homer Crimson
      Ute Fan
      @homercrimson

I may be wrong, but I think it had to do more with preventing miscommuncation and to slow down the clock. I think it had more to do with tempo than fear of the signals being read.

YodaUte
        Ute Fan
        @yodaute

I don’t think it was to slow down the clock. Utah started huddling while still trailing 18-14. On that first play from huddle, the camera caught a close-up of an ASU defensive player. The kid looked anxious and confused.

Evolved Ute
      Ute Fan
      @evolvedute

I agree with Yoda. When I re-watched the game, I noticed their player (#58 I believe) would look over at the ASU sideline right before the snap and then bark out assignments. It was uncanny how many ASU players were in the hole for each Booker handoff.

Once we started having TW get the calls from the sidelines, the same #58 did look confused. I would bet money that they had our plays deciphered early on.

Astute Ute
      Ute Fan
      @tstruct

Coach Whit in the press conference basically said, we stopped using signals, purposefully. Thought ASU was getting an advantage.

Wilson’s Mustache
      Ute Fan
      @sigmaute

My question now is what is preventing other teams from doing the same thing?

Viewing 12 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football ASU was stealing our offensive signals