Overall thoughts on the hoops team

Viewing 4 reply threads

Prestonmadera
      Ute Fan
      @prestonmadera

I think we may still make the tourney. We have improved our athleticism significantly, and this is evident in our ability to get to the rim. Last year we had a bunch of jump shooters and bonam on the perimeter. This year we can actually drive the ball!

The rise of Jojo and Daniels has been a great thing to see. With the edition of barefield we will get the ball out of Zo’s hands a bit and cut our turnovers. Collette will improve toughness and hopefully give us a post presence we have been missing.

I think the ceiling of this team is as high as last years. I see us being able to win a tourney game.  We will probably finish 4th or 5th in the league, but that should be enough for a 7-9 seed. Call me a red goggled fool, but I would take this years group of perimeter players over last. If we had the big Jak we would be a sweet 16/elite 8 type team. 

Anyways, going to be fun to watch this squad develop. GO UTES

bopahull
      Ute Fan
      @bopahull

I don’t know how far this team will go. I think they need a lot of improvement to make the NCAA.

I am impressed with the improvement they’ve shown so far. They are head and shoulders above where the started.

I am eagerly awaiting the additions of Barefield and Collette. If they add as much as most people think, we are going to be a tough team to play when the conference starts.

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

I’m with Bopa on this one…without a signature OOC win and a tough conference schedule looming, I just don’t see a way to the tournament for Utah. I expect we’ll get better with Barefield and Collette, but this is still a very young team. They’ll be talented but inconsistent all year – there will be nights when turnovers are rampant and shooting is poor. This team has enough quality that they will slay a couple giants when they’re on, but they’ll lose some WTF games when they’re off.

I’m already looking forward to next year, especially if Kuzma stays. Losing Bonam will hurt, but Utah will be significantly better and deeper at the other 4 positions. I think next year Utah is a top 25 team.

Red Don
      Ute Fan
      @reddon

I don’t think we have a clue till we see Barefield and Collette play.  We’ve been playing without 40% of our starters.  That’s significant.

utahpunk
      Ute Fan
      @utahpunk

I thought we had a later start time on Saturday vs Xavier, so I only saw the 2nd half of the game. I thought overall Utah showed well, and they made a nice run to close it out.

Utah is going to improve. I wouldn’t be surprised if they made the tourney this year, but I think they are probably going to be eliminated in the 1st or 2nd round.

Rick
        Ute Fan
        @rickyrules

Utah outplayed them in the second half but the first half was a nightmare to watch.

FountainofUte
        Ute Fan
        @fountainofute

I’d take a one-and-done or a second-round bounce in a heartbeat in a rebuild season like this.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) Overall thoughts on the hoops team