2-loss team in the Playoff

Viewing 5 reply threads

cicampbe
      Ute Fan
      @cicampbe

It’s never happened before, but don’t think it’s impossible. There’s a scenario where the Big 10, Big 12 and PAC 12 Champs all have two losses. Michigan and Ohio State still play each other and one will have two losses. Both of them don’t have a pushover schedule before they meet in the last game of the Big 10. Similarly, Oklahoma and WV meet in the last game of the Big 12 and one or both could take another loss before that game. 

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

Don’t get your hopes up.  There would be some really great accomplishments if the Utes should finish with just 2 losses including meaning they won the Pac-12 South outright for the first time, won the Pac-12 for the first time and won the Rose Bowl for the first time.

It would also set up the Utes for good publicity and high pre-season ranking for a possible run at the CFB Playoff in 2019.

Matthew Thomas Castleton
        Ute Fan
        @mcastleton928

That seems like the more likely scenario. Plus a Rose Bowl berth and a win in said game would be huge for recruiting. 

UtahFanSir
        Ute Fan
        @utahfansir

And add some juice and hot sauce to Utah’s recruiting.

cicampbe
        Ute Fan
        @cicampbe

I agree. Even if it played out that way, certainly a 2-loss Big 10 team would make it before a 2-loss PAC 12 team.

Matthew Thomas Castleton
      Ute Fan
      @mcastleton928

They’ll just put Notre Dame and a second SEC team in. 

Utahute72
      Ute Fan
      @utahute72

That’s why the system has to be changed to have the conf. champion from each P5 conference get in.  It allows teams that develop late in the season to have a shot.

PlainsUte
        Ute Fan
        @plainsute

Would like to see the P5 Conference Championship games treated as a virtual “first round” of playoffs.

Sweetness
      Ute Fan
      @sweetness

Here is my hope…we finish 12-2, Pac-12 and rose bowl champs and end the season ranked somewhere between 5-8. Moss, Anae, Fotu, etc. decide to not to declare for the draft and roll it back for one more year. 2019 we return 15 starters and start the season ranked in the top 10, probably because we’re Utah and don’t get early season respect we inexplicably drop to teens preseason but it’s all good. Our schedule next year is very favorable. We replace Oregon and Stanford with cal and Oregon state, and we have 5 home and 4 on the road. This is the year we hope for New Years six, next year is the year we start dreaming about playoff. 

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

If that scenario happens I think Moss would be an idiot to not declare. I think my assumption under that scenario is that Moss had a hellava final 6 games. Fotu stays I think no matter what and Anae still has things to work on in my opinion. 

noneyadb
        Ute Fan
        @noneyadb

Rose bowl champ vs likely Ohio St and returning 15 starters would absolutely give them a top 5 final ranking and a top 7 preseason ranking.

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

Moss is gone no matter what. The other I think stay around. But, selfishly I hope it goes that way.

Anonymous
          Inactive

Moss goes if he’s a first day selection. That’s the line of demarcation. If he’s first day he’d be dumb to stay. If he projects as later than that he’d be dumb to leave. That’s it. 

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

There’s no scenario for Notre Dame to finish with two losses. Plus undefeated UCF might get in before a two loss PAC 12 team.

2 1

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

No G5 team will ever get in. 

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

Yes tired of people thinking it will happen. This is like the BCS on steroids right now. They get to eliminate teams and make it seem legit now.

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

I agree. I also dont think there will be that many 2 loss P5 teams ever either.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football 2-loss team in the Playoff