2018 Season Kickoff

Viewing 2 reply threads

UtahManPodcast
      Ute Fan
      @utahmanpodcast

The 2018 football season is almost here and the guys are offering their season previews. Cameron, Ryan, and Scott break down the schedule and offer up their 2018 breakout players for the year. They also joined by Tony from UteHub.com to give everyone the back story of the fan site and what he is working on next for the site.

Episode 108

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Awesome! Thanks for having me on the podcast. Your link was broken. I fixed it for you.

UtahManPodcast
        Ute Fan
        @utahmanpodcast

Thanks Tony!! Thanks again for joining us and sharing the history of the greatest fan site!!! GO UTES!

UtemanUtefan
      Ute Fan
      @utemanutefan

Listened to it this morning and was curious about a couple things;

Why is it such a ‘homer’ opinion that Utah will get 9 or 10 wins this year? IIRC we were literally 2 plays away from being a 9 win team last year with wins over USC and WASH and that was with new starters all over the field. Being that most of the conference is worse off than a year ago and we are better it should be very likely that the win floor is 8 or 9, barring injuries of course.

I’m also curious why all of you picked a different receiver as a breakout player and nobody talked about the O-line. From what I’ve read Barton is looking Bolles esque and Ford might be real deal too, one he gets consistency.

4 2

UtMtBiker
        Ute Fan
        @utmtbiker

I can see your logic but saying we were one play away from winning the Washington game is a stretch.  You also have to factor in that the BYU (a truely horrible team) and AZ games were closer than they should have been. You could say we were one play away from a loss in both of those and we’d be coming off of a total garbage season. We weren’t even competitive in OU or ASU and another win came against a FCS team.  Basically, we had 3 good wins over SJSU (G5 team), UCLA, and Colorado.  

That’s why I would say 9 or 10 wins is a “homer” prediction. Without any of the local news and inforamtion about how this years team is coming along it would be hard to pick them for 10  wins.  

1 2

PlainsUte
        Ute Fan
        @plainsute

Anytime someone says a team was a few plays from X wins, I remind them that works both ways.  As UtMtBiker says, the AZ game could have very easily been lost if not for a few plays, notable an INT while AZ was deep in Utah territory threatening to take the lead near the end.   I do agree Utah played Washington very close on the road and has them at home this year; should be a great game, but not ready to count it as a win just yet.

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

Washington was a “one play away from a win” game with Blackmon’s missed INT. 

USC was a “one play away from a win” game with the two point conversion. 

Arizona was a “one play away from a win” game. 

BYU was NOT a “one play away from a a win game”. They were 91 yards with 37 seconds to tie the game, game. Big difference. 

1 1

UtMtBiker
            Ute Fan
            @utmtbiker

Because we would have had a 7 point lead going into the 4th?  How is that a win? Utes have squandered bigger leads vs worse opponents.  

UtemanUtefan
              Ute Fan
              @utemanutefan

Not the missed interception I’m talking about but more of the timeout snafu that allowed them to score on pretty much the last play of the game that lost it for us.

Utah
              Ute Fan
              @utah

Not a 7 point lead. That was a 14 point play. If Blackmon intercepts that, he scores a TD. Instead, he missed it, Gaskins caught it and went 76 yards for a TD. The score would be 30-16, Utah at that point. 

UtahManPodcast
        Ute Fan
        @utahmanpodcast

Great point about guys on the Oline really stepping up. We didn’t know each other were going to be picking WRs, that was a bit of a surprise. I think one reason is this WR group has a caught a lot of eyes this offseason. No disrespect to the other positions, but people are expected big things from the WRs so I think that is why the 3 of us went WR across the board. 

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football 2018 Season Kickoff