247 player ratings out of high school.

Viewing 7 reply threads

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

All right, I went down each team’s starters and pulled their # recruiting rank off 247.

For BYU, I took 1 QB, 1 HB, 1 FB, 4 WR, 5 OL, 3 TE for 15 players.

For Utah, I took 1 QB, 1 RB, 7 WR, 5 OL and 1 TE for 15 players.

Its not exact, but I do believe it more accurately represents what each defense will see. Also, I didn’t do backups, but BYU would fall even further behind if we went two deep everywhere.

Mangum was a .9516 which was the third highest player behind Jaylen Johnson and Kylie Fitts.

QB: Utah – Williams .8737, BYU – Mangum .9516

HB: Utah – Shyne – NR, BYU – Canada – .8520

FB: Utah – None, BYU – El Bakri – NR

WR: Utah average – .870, BYU average – .830

TE: Utah – .845 BYU – .564

OL: Utah – .859, BYU – .664

Overall average: Utah – .842, BYU – .745

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Defense:

I took 2 DE, 2 DT, 3 LB, 2 CB, 2 S from BYU.
      I took 4 DE, 4 DT, 2 LB, 4 CB and 4 S from Utah.

This helps BYU as we have “lessor” players averaged in and they don’t.

DE: Utah – .895, BYU – .830
      DT: Utah – .849, BYU – .822
      LB: Utah – .855, BYU – .853
      CB: Utah – .901, BYU – .887
      S: Utah – .894, BYU – .781

Overall: Utah – .872, BYU – .829

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Overall:

Utah: .842
      BYU: .745

Also, for s**ts and giggles:

Utah has one player from the 2012 recruiting class: Chase Hansen. All the rest are 2013 or later.

BYU has 4 from 2012: Mangum, El Bakri, Norman, Pau’u. They have 2 players from 2011: Tausinga and Kaufusi. They have 1 player from 2010: Kanuch.

So, for 22 starters, they have 7 players (or 1/3 of their starters) that were recruited before or during Jaemis Winston’s recruitement (2012).

When 1/3 of your starters are that old…that’s why you get the comments from other coaches.

4 1

Stone
      Ute Fan
      @stone

I thought you moved out of Utah? Are you still getting harrassed by zoobs? Is that why you are doing so many of these well researched comparisons between each school’s recruits?

I haven’t lived in Utah for years, so while I enjoy the competition between the two schools, I don’t really tend to think much more about their program more than I would Utah State.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

I’m in Oregon. They are our “first” opponent. They are our rival. They make stupid proclamations. That’s why.

I dunno. I hate them. I don’t hate any other team. I know the other games we play will most likely be hard fought games. I don’t have fans if other teams acting like douche nozzles.

Now, my arguments/whatever are dumb too. I’m no statistician, but if anything, they show how dumb theirs are and how even their dumb arguments are just…stupid.

Stone
          Ute Fan
          @stone

Fair enough. Not meant as a complaint about your posts. Like I said, I really enjoy the game and the rivalry. I just am not exposed enough to zoobs to even hear claims that they are going to be great. I have no idea what they are predicting. I don’t mean that in a “I’m so cool that I don’t care” sort of way, I just do not get exposure to cougar football. I read the SLC papers for Utah Utes sports, but I only read utes articles. I don’t click on the BYU articles, so I really would not know if they were predicting a great season or a poor season. And being outside of Utah, I don’t have occassion to socially interact with them. The extent of the research you have done (which is impressive), would seem to indicate you must be hearing lots of zoob banter. For that, I offer my condolences. 

Utah
            Ute Fan
            @utah

Ha ha. Thank you sir for the condolences. 

noneyadb
        Ute Fan
        @noneyadb

Majority of this started from UteThunder predicting tds to beat Utah and LSU. Needless to say it got under the sink of a few.

UteThunder
      Ute Fan
      @utethunder

The three things that stand out to me:

1) The difference at TE – They keep bragging up their TEs as these indefensible weapons. I think if our LBs and Safeties are defending our TEs every day in practice, we should be able to handle theirs.

2) The difference at OL – They do have an experience edge here, but that looks like a pretty big gap in overall talent. Our DL should have more success against their OL than their DL will have against our OL.

3) The difference at QB – If Mangum plays up to that rating and Williams plays to his, that would be a huge equalizer for them. So far, what I’ve seen from the two QBs on the field is pretty equal overall, so maybe Troy was a little underrated or Mangum was a little overrated.

noneyadb
      Ute Fan
      @noneyadb

Rumored Canada won’t even be the starter. Maybe he could start at Utah though… Also the Juco WR is moving down the depth chart as well. 

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

The biggest equalizer is their…… age. They have two OL from 2012 or earlier. Plus, Koroma is a SR. Plus El Bakri is old as dust as well.

To have that much age at the OL…that much “old man strength”. It’s a great equalizer. That’s why their OL typically drastically outplays their star rating. They are so old on the lines.

I know all the dumb retorts, “oh, go recruit missionaries then, blah, blah.”

That would be stupid. I’d rather have talent over age, but to pretend that isn’t an advantage is just as dumb. No other G5 with equivalent star ratings on their OL ever ends up as good.

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

The thing that jumps out is out DL vs their Ol .2 difference. I assume that’s pretty significant.

FtheY
      Ute Fan
      @fthey

Yeah, but doesn’t Ty Freaking Detmer make up some intangible X factor that we’ll never ever be able to compete with? 

ironman1315
        Ute Fan
        @ironman1315

Yes but that just means he’ll fall into Whitts trap of getting picked the first play of the game.

RiseasUtes
        Ute Fan
        @riseasutes

He is a Heisman winner, didn’t you know?  That means best OC ever made.  Does Taylor have a Heisman? No, So that means Ty “freaking” Detmers offense will smoke his.  And Kalani “freaking” Sitake is the only reason KW had any defensive success on the field or in recruiting.

This is the “rational” argument of quite a few BYU fans.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football 247 player ratings out of high school.