60 in 60 wrapup

Viewing 7 reply threads
      4 2

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

With 2 to go and Kuithe and Lloyd the obvious remaining picks, I realized some things I was not aware of.

The best OL in the state is at the Y.

The best RB in the state is at the Y.

The backup RB at the Y is better than any at the U.

After Covey, the Y and USU each have 2 WRs better than any remaining WR at the U.

The Kicker at the Y is better than the preseason first team Kicker in the Pac.

Outside of the two headliners at the U there is a number of LBs at the Y, USU, and Weber better than the #3 at Utah.

Adjust your expectations…

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

Allgiere will take a few steps back this year. BYU’s punter will take a few forward.

6 1

Johnny
      Ute Fan
      @johnny

Not sure what this thing is, do I need to wear a rubber?

The Utes are LOADED. Local media can rub it out.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

I guess we’ll have to let the scoreboard do our talking for us. 

Waybackutefan
      Ute Fan
      @waybackutefan

I think you need to replace “best” with ” higher ranked by a group of local press and radio personalities”. 

No one will know if Empy is better than Ford or the back up at at YBU is better than our backs until the seasons been played or at least a significant portion of games completed.

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

There are a couple of issues that affect this year’s 60in60.  The biggest is the portal.  Some Utes were late-comers and not even on the ballot; i.e. Howard and Thompson.  I believe that Howard may be our most prolific receiver this season, but he didn’t make the list.  Pledger and Curry were ranked 40 and 35.  The fact is that neither had stellar careers to date.  So, if you were in the media, how high would you have ranked them? 

BYU’s Allgeier had some great stats last season.  Will he duplicate those stats against better opponents?  I think not.  However, since the games will not be blowouts – he will likely get more carries and possibly more total yards.  I know since he plays with that team down south, many automatically say that he is not that good.  I think he is a good RB.  Is he as good as Tavion or TJ?  I don’t know. (Katoa being ranked much higher than Pledger or Curry makes no sense IMO.)

Empey over Ford may show some BYU bias.  But, I am not an expert on offensive linemen.

In the end, Utah had 7 of the final 10  players on the list.  That seems about right to me.  I think Brewer would have been ranked higher had the media known he would be the starter.

I do think the media feels compelled to add some Weber and USU guys to the list.  Riley Jensen said on 1280 yesterday that Weber has 5 future NFL players on their squad.  If this is true – that’s amazing.

This is just some media guy’s best guesses.  I don’t believe there is some overall bias towards BYU,  The only ones that I really question are Empey over Ford (this was close) or Katoa ranked higher than any Ute RB.  

Now, let’s prove it on the field.

2 1

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

I stopped listening and following local media all together. They will never learn if they continue on putting out the same crap. I even struggle with 700 most days and stopped listening all together when they dragged back Checkets. Just not entertaining at all.

1 1

Johnny
        Ute Fan
        @johnny

It’s almost embarrassing. I try to be non biased as much as possible. I’m not even Mormon, and I even looked at BYU as an option before I moved back here. No way, man. Definitely a bunch of goggle wearing folks down in that bubble.

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

Sorry my humor was missed. This list is all screwed up. I don’t think it is possible for more than a few from the other schools to make the 2 deep at the U. None would have any chance to start at Utah. The difference will be obvious next week.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football 60 in 60 wrapup