All joking aside

Viewing 6 reply threads

2008 National Champ
      Ute Fan
      @cptmrgn05

Barnes didn’t do anything special today but having him in the game doesn’t allow the defense to stack the box. Johnson may end being a better QB when all is said and done but right now, the defense doesn’t respect his pass game. They are more than happy to bring numbers and force him to beat them.

However, that 50/50 ball Barnes was willing to throw to McClain was a thing of beauty. And he found ways to move the chains with his legs. I give him all credit for getting the job done today but I don’t think his leash should be any longer than it was at the start of the season.

BTW, does anyone know if Johnson was available today? I don’t remember seeing him on the sidelines and would have expected him to get a couple of designed plays if healthy

highlandute7
      Ute Fan
      @highlandute7

Johnson was there and suited up. Saw him multiple times cheering on his teammates.

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

Thanks. I fully expected that if he was healthy, he would get a drive or at least come in for a couple of RPO’s. Maybe Vaki was so effective they didn’t need it?

I’ll admit I’m grasping at straws trying to figure out what the offensive plan is from week to week. And that 4 back formation that forced a timeout in the first half didn’t inspire me.

UtesRule
      Ute Fan
      @utesrule

No inside info here, but the way he was hobbling on that bad leg at the end of the Beavs game, I’m VERY confident that he is still recovering.

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

True. But with Barnes going to the hospital, I really didn’t think he would be available today either. If I had to be honest, pre-game I was expecting Jackson to run wildcat all game. Seeing a semi-healthy QB at this point in this season was a confidence boost

4 5

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

Johnson isn’t ever going to be a starting QB for us again unless someone gets hurt. Unless he works on his throwing BIG TIME, he simply doesn’t have the skills required to be a QB.

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

That’s a bit harsh. I wasn’t on the bandwagon based on what he did last year but I’m also not sure that we have seen what Johnson is truly capable of. I see less talented QB’s every week put up huge numbers so why can’t he?

I think many are not willing to accept how much the Whitt/Lud offense inhibits QB play. If you tell a kid every day to not make mistakes, his inclination is going to be to not take any chances. Huntley 2019, Rising the last couple of years have been able to find the balance between taking chances and turning the ball over. when Johnson figures that out, we’ll finally see what his ceiling is.

Ute Dub
          Ute Fan
          @chestercopperpot

Imagine Tim Tebow but a slightly worse passer and an unwillingness to run the rock. That’s Nate.

2008 National Champ
            Ute Fan
            @cptmrgn05

Tebow wasn’t afraid to throw the ball but he was playing for Urban/Mullen instead of Whitt/Lud. Tebow was also proof that a tight end with a decent arm could be a successful college QB.,,

UteBrook
      Ute Fan
      @utebrook

Nate was standing next to Cam, suited up but no helmet. I’m sure he was an emergency only qb today.

highlandute7
        Ute Fan
        @highlandute7

Maybe but he was chest bumping and jumping up and down multiple times. I was glad to see he wasn’t pouting and didn’t seem upset he wasn’t playing so maybe he wasn’t planning on playing.

I like bringing him in to mix it up from time to time. A whole game of Barnes is hard to watch even though we one, because of the run game and D.

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

I agree but I was expecting to see some NJ. As a wildcat I would expect him to be more of a threat to pass than most.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

We are a long way from seeing the true potential of NJ, but I’m afraid if we don’t give him some touches he’ll be in the portal faster than Caleb Williams starts limping when SC is losing.

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

trust Tony to break it down in the simplest terms possible. I’ve been trying for 5 months to say the same thing

Now if someone on the staff could convince Johnson to switch to slot.,,

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football All joking aside