All the Big12 chaos makes me feel a bit uneasy

Viewing 2 reply threads

Ghost of the HEB
      Ute Fan
      @deseretgentlman

Texas is leaving their conference due to greed + their inflated sense of self-importance and entitlement. Oklahoma is leaving because greed + they feel they’re more on par with SEC teams.
      The SEC will become an even bigger monster — gobbling up more TV money, recruits, and ranking spots.

The Pac12 also has a few underperforming programs with inflated egos. What happens when the Big10 feels compelled to match the SEC move by coming for USC and UCLA? Or UO and UW? Sure, USC might not want to relinquish top dog status, but for the right payday they probably would be okay with it — and losing top dog status doesn’t seem to dissuade OU and UT.

Safest thing for the future of the PAC would be to poach some other big brands that build value before the Big10 does, but the Big10 is in a better position to pull that off right now, especially given the disaster last season was for the Pac12.

All I know is I don’t want so see Utah in the same position the rest of the Big12 is in right now. And I don’t trust USC or Oregon to choose conference loyalty over a Big10 payday.

MDUte
      Ute Fan
      @mdute

Assuming Texas/OU finalizes their move to the SEC, the best thing the PAC could do is to join/merge with the B1G and form a 32 team Super Conference. This would provide content in every time zone and match the SEC in terms of brand power. ESPN reported in the following article that this is what the ACC, PAC, B1G are already needing to contemplate because they no longer have the ability to court Texas/OU prior to their media rights negotiations as they were planning.
      Texas/OU to SEC could be complete in weeks

UteThunder
      Ute Fan
      @utethunder

Geography is very limiting to schools in WA, OR, and CA. The B1G is very unlikely to expand their conference to include schools from the West coast. The Big XII has always been the biggest threat to poach those schools, and even they were a long shot. If Texas and Oklahoma go to the SEC, there is no way USC, UCLA, UW, UO are going to move to the Big XII.

Maybe UA, ASU, CU, or UU would consider going to the depleted Big XII as these schools are all closer to the Big XII and may feel they could compete better with the Big XII leftovers. But the chances of any of these schools leaving the Pac 12 for a depleted Big XII are so slim that it isn’t worth worrying about. Colorado would probably be the most likely to go to either the Big XII or the B1G but it’s doubtful.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Pac-12 All the Big12 chaos makes me feel a bit uneasy