Another LB entering the portal

Viewing 4 reply threads

jobjohnsen8
      Ute Fan
      @jobjohnsen8

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

A big question for underclassmen players is becoming: which path is the best or quickest to get onto the field? Do they stay put and learn from 3 great LBers playing special teams? Or do they move looking for teams with open competition for unfilled starting positions? Stronger programs may require waiting while weaker programs might require more waiting. Moving may provide shorter lines to start but the move might place you in spots that you have learning to do to become competitive. ’24 LBers at Utah will have to settle with developing behind 3 very good LBers is a scheme that often plays 2.

highlandute7
      Ute Fan
      @highlandute7

Looks like we have lost a S and a TE as well recently per the Des News tracker. Didn’t see them on it earlier.

Neither played significant snaps this year.

DN transfer tracker

uteinzoobcounty
      Ute Fan
      @uteinzoobcounty

Most of these kids transferring don’t hit the field that much, a ton of kids in the portal already. New age of college ball. A bunch of these players transferring won’t even play a down of P5(4) football anymore.

Some transfer to smaller schools or just don’t play anymore the way it is now

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

It seems that gone are the days when you could develop players. Everyone is looking to get on the field ASAP.

Barton’s older brother Cody, who played LB for us, did not see a ton of playing time until he was a junior if I remember right. I don’t think he was a full-time starter until he was a senior. Now he is starting in the NFL.

I struggle with this part of the portal. I like to see these young men develop into solid football players. Now we will be forced to go to the portal to backfill for all the LBs we have lost. Someone posted that many of these guys are mercenaries. It makes it hard for the fans (at least this one).

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

I wouldn’t call them mercenaries but it stands to reason that 17 year-olds make decisions that they may want to change and now the portal gives them that opportunity. Our enjoyment shouldn’t come at their expense so if they feel like the school isn’t right for them or they think they can set themselves up for the future elsewhere.,, I wish them the best and will keep rooting for the name on the front of the jersey, not the back.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Another LB entering the portal