Anybody watching USC vs San Jose State?

Viewing 9 reply threads

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

The Trojans are winning 7-0 but their defense still looks like trash. San Jose is continuously gashing them with short passes, QB sneaks and misdirection runs.

SalUteopia
      Ute Fan
      @saluteopia

Yep, their D still looks the same. I hope Grinch doesn’t get fired before we play them.

MFury
        Ute Fan
        @mfury

Only penalties stopping San Jose state, even then nice 28 yard scramble

USC tackling is garbage, but assume that gets fixed by mid year.

Their tackle celebrations however, are world class

The Miami Ute
          Ute Fan
          @themiamiute

Why are you assuming that their tackling will be fixed by midseason? It’s never been fixed on any team that Grinch has coached since at least 2017.

MFury
            Ute Fan
            @mfury

I never assume my competitors remain incompetent. I don’t mind if they do, but I’d watch the scheme and assume they fix the basics.

Much if it look like 1st game jitters – crashing too hard, not breaking down.

The Miami Ute
              Ute Fan
              @themiamiute

Well, to me it looks just like the defenses that Grinch had at Oklahoma and last year at USC…eventually you have to think it’s not the players but the DC.

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

LOL…it’s like a broken record….Grinch must really have some incriminating stuff on Riley to still have a job. They were wolfing all kinds of stuff about all of the defensive transfers they brought in but, as they say, not all change is progress. Albeit, it’s a really small sample, but if I’m Oregon, Washington, Arizona, etc..I’m licking my chops at playing USC’s defense.

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

Wow, Mr. Heisman is looking like Mr. Irrelevant so far…

MFury
        Ute Fan
        @mfury

I though his throw away on the 1st drive was IG as well.

If SJS stays in this though half it will get interesting. We’ll be watching for leg cramps for sure.

The Miami Ute
          Ute Fan
          @themiamiute

You bet…SJS has a very mobile QB with a good arm. Those guys gave USC loads of trouble last year. Just look at the game Jayden De Laura had last year against the Trojans.

ukiyoronin
      Ute Fan
      @ukiyoronin

Well, maybe we will beat them in the Colosseum this year. Wow. That score before half time was awesome.

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

Their defense looks mostly unchanged from last year. Williams looks the same but it seems, as I thought would happen, that defenses have adjusted to him, using controlled rushes to limit the damage he can do with his legs.

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

If Utah has a 90%+ Rising under center for the game in the Coliseum, they at least have a puncher’s chance of beating USC. Let’s be clear here…no matter what all the USC shills say, this is not a super team…they have a lot of holes, mostly on defense, and are vulnerable to teams that can take advantage of their weaknesses.

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

LOL…USC’s defense allows SJS to march for a TD using just 19 seconds. Looks like they’ll go to the locker room at 21-14. I know it’s only the first game, but we are talking about mighty USC and they are playing SJS…I really haven’t seen anything from USC in the first half that would lead me to believe that they would have a chance playing say Georgia, UM, tOSU, or Alabama…all of those teams would for sure shut down Williams and their offenses would annihilate USC’s defense.

MFury
        Ute Fan
        @mfury

They aren’t winning because their offense is working. USC just puts their better athlete in 1:1 positions

That won’t work against better matched teams.

2008 National Champ
          Ute Fan
          @cptmrgn05

sounds like their offense is working as designed if it’s putting superior athletes in one on one’s

The Miami Ute
            Ute Fan
            @themiamiute

He has a point though. USC has one guy that’s better than any other player on the field and that’s Williams. A lot of these plays that worked for them won’t work against Oregon, Washington, Utah, and, for sure, Notre Dame. If San Jose State, a middling Mountain West team, can put up 400 yards of offense on USC, I’m really interested in seeing what happens when they run into a really good team, away from the Coliseum.

MFury
            Ute Fan
            @mfury

To clarify, they weren’t scheming for specific matchups IMO. Just lining up, then reacting. I’m sure more went into it, but SJS was pushing CW deep into his reads, then he would just make something happen.

Tacoma Ute
      Ute Fan
      @tacomaute

We are all Spartans tonight!

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

Uh-oh…is Williams’ hammy bothering him again? I just saw him on the ground stretching with a trainer’s help.

22Ute22
      Ute Fan
      @utedagoat

USC’s O-line looks mid against a G5 team. I hope Florida has the same struggles since they are a new O-line as well.

UofU Fanatic
      Ute Fan
      @uofufanatic

I know this is stupid and doesn’t make any difference as it is literally just 1 viewer. But sometimes I refuse to watch it so I don’t boost their TV ratings of big 10 and sec conferences lol.

But glad to hear it is little struggle from comments above

Tacoma Ute
      Ute Fan
      @tacomaute

USC pulling away as we probably all knew they would. Still, their defense sucks.

fosternano
        Ute Fan
        @fosternano

Yep, SJSU being able to put 28 on them does not bode well for the Trojans this year.

With how many elite QB’s are in the P12 this year, U$C will be in trouble.

The Miami Ute
          Ute Fan
          @themiamiute

It’s more than just the number of points in my view. It’s the fact that they moved up and down the field with relative ease and could actually have scored more. If a commuter school with much less talent can do that to you, it’ll be fun to see what happens when USC plays teams that are as talented.

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Anybody watching USC vs San Jose State?