AZ Reporter asked Caleb Williams about WR Dorian Singer (transfer AZ to USC)

Viewing 7 reply threads
      16 1

HoosierUte
      Ute Fan
      @hoosierute

His response “He made a bunch of great catches, and I looked over at one of our coaches and said ‘After this season, are we gonna get him?” — just when you thought this guy couldn’t be more unlikable…
      Really wish there was some agency, maybe a national collegiate athletics association of some sort that had the teeth to stop this.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Don’t hate the player hate the game…but at the same time I really hope Utah makes him cry again. 

tanute3
      Ute Fan
      @tanute3

I dislike CW more and more with every passing day. He’s incredibly talented but symbolizes so much that is wrong with where college football is moving. I’m very glad we have someone like Cam representing the University of Utah rather than someone like CW.

Ute Dub
      Ute Fan
      @chestercopperpot

I hope you’re lying. 

7 10

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

I don’t believe there is any moral high ground for Utah fans to stand on. If Cam Rising said go get Dorian Singer in the same manner we wouldn’t bat an eye. 
        I mean we seem to be fine with that kid coming from Oklahoma that potentially pistol whipped someone over some weed. 

D T
          Ute Fan
          @azute1

What an inept take….One’s clearly on a different plane from the other.

RedRocks
            Ute Fan
            @hypodactylus

You are correct. Pistol whipping someone over weed is way worse than deciding to go to a new school (and get paid, probably…). One is a crime, the other is a reasonable choice.

Not that I love all the transferring, but let’s be realistic here…

EagleMountainUte
              Ute Fan
              @battlegroundute

Who is paying for Trejan Bridges criminal defense?  

Do you think his lawyers take IOU’s?

Ute Dub
                Ute Fan
                @chestercopperpot

First off, Trejan Bridges comment is a straw man argument that we can set aside. I was born in an era where the best wanted to compete against the best, not openly comment during a game to go get that guy that’s making plays against us.

EagleMountainUte
                  Ute Fan
                  @battlegroundute

Reality hardly ever meets expectations unfortunately. NIL means Utah needs to build better teams. I hope Utah team leaders say bring me playmakers to throw to. 

Ute Dub
                    Ute Fan
                    @chestercopperpot

Ok, but not the in conference player that you’re playing against during the game. That’s horse s**t.

EagleMountainUte
              Ute Fan
              @battlegroundute

Also my statement is two separate ideas. Being morally disgusted with CW wanting to be surrounded by talent is what I first referenced. I compared that to Cam Rising saying the same thing. 

Then I brought up another “moral gray” area the to use an athlete like Trejan Bridges despite some disturbing recent criminal history. Obviously it is all alleged but like that matters in America anymore. Accusations mean as much as convictions these days. UNLESS you are willing to overlook that morality for your own benefit. 

RedRocks
      Ute Fan
      @hypodactylus

While I don’t think it is a great comment, don’t we want the same freedom in our lives? I chose where to go to school and I could have changed my mind at any point.

While I don’t love the “rich getting richer” aspect, I feel like athletes should control their ‘product’ (that includes selling it), not million/billion dollar entities (schools, etc).

If the athlete wants to give up control in the form of contracts (like the pros), then the schools should have to provide something extra in return. Until that happens, they should be able to leave (just like you and I).

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

I hope a Utah booster tried to pay Singer. I also hope the coaching staff told the booster to do it. It seems disengenous or naive to think it doesn’t happen. That has and always will be college football, anyone that grew up under the thumb of 80’s Lavell Edwards knows. College teams don’t need to hide it anymore is all. 

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

There’s an easy fix: let the players unionize, create a governing body and negotiate contracts. Set a salary cap, have free agency, etc. 

Then you can sign players to. 1, 2, 3, 4 year deals etc. 

I don’t know how you do this and pretend they are students though…maybe as part of their contracts they have to walk around campus for 2 hours a day…I dunno. 

Great1Ute
      Ute Fan
      @tribute

Not suprising at all. I think it was a poorly kept secret this post season that U$C went after a couple of our interior DL.  

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

Since college athletics intends to be fair a team salary cap is good. An athlete can make anything they want but there can be a limit for a team to remain eligible. Reporting can be a requirement. Exceeding the limit is an eligibility issue not a legal issue. Contacting an athlete that is not in the portal can be prohibited for teams to remain eligible. Third parties like boosters is under all rules difficult to manage. There is a lot of discussion about what can or is legal, however, simple eligibility can be controlled. Does anyone tell a university that they cannot dismiss a student? I would think eligibility is outside all the state laws that seem to be in the way of legally regulating NIL. Keep all the money you can get, but be aware eligibility to play in games has rules. Same for rules for schools, God knows what is legal but the conferences collectively manage eligibility for games themselves. I think.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Pac-12 AZ Reporter asked Caleb Williams about WR Dorian Singer (transfer AZ to USC)