Barnes QB2?

Viewing 2 reply threads
      3 1

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

I know a lot has been posted here about Barnes in the last few days. Riley Nelson was interviewed on the radio yesterday. I think he explains it best.

He said that KW’s team is first – defense and on offense it is run-first. That is no surprise. He said that he will pick a backup who is least likely to make mistakes. He feels that KW is not interested in a flashy QB who is at risk of making game-changing mistakes. He said that KW and Ludwig will develop a game plan around Barnes that will not put him in a position to make critical mistakes. In other words – take most of the decision-making away from him.

We really have never seen Barnes play when he had a game plan developed for his skill set. He played the entire game against WSU, but that was a last-minute decision. I think he will show better when the game plan is tailored to him.

I suspect that a decision will be made this weekend after they have evaluated the film from the scrimmage today. Whoever is selected needs the practice reps. I think it will be Barnes. I do not dislike Barnes but I was hoping that one of these young guys would step up and be the guy.

Regardless, I will be cheering for whoever plays QB three weeks from now.

Go Utes!!!

6 7

AZUTE
      Ute Fan
      @azute

Barnes is a checkdown machine. Florida will put 9 in the box and dare him to throw it over them. He is not a playmaker

Heard something interesting the other day. He said young QBs in Whit’s system are paralyzed with fear to make mistakes in practice and it inhibits their development.

Rose and Johnson are both more talented than Barnes but if Barnes starts because he makes fewer mistakes it is a recipe for disaster.

Utah will start 0-2 if Barnes is the QB

3 4

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

ANOTHER Barnes post be careful…

Mobile Ute Hub user submitted image

D T
        Ute Fan
        @azute1

I’m with you on Barnes, but believe we still beat UF with him….BU’s where it gets tricky.

Yergensen
        Ute Fan
        @yergensen

Coach Whit is the common thread in the “throw game” from Jon Hays to Bryson Barnes.

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

I would rather have one of our young guys get the nod. However, I think there will be a gameplan in place to help Barnes be successful against Florida if needed. We will not score a ton of points, but I think we can still win with Barnes.

Personally, I think Cam does not start until game four against UCLA. I don’t think they will put Cam’s health at risk. He has a potential NFL career. I am no doctor, but why risk re-injuring his knee if he is not 100%.

In 1985, BYU shot up Robbie Bosco’s shoulder every week so he could play. When he got a physical with the Green Bay Packers the next spring – they found that he had all but destroyed his shoulder. They did surgery but I don’t believe that he ever played a down in the NFL. BYU hired him in their athletic program to avoid a lawsuit. Let’s not do that to Cam. He deserves better. If he is indeed ready to play at 100% (which I doubt) – go with Cam

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

From what Whitt said yesterday is that Rising is really wanting to play that Florida game. For one it is huge exposure early in the season and the busted pride he has from the outcome in the Swamp. It is a redemption arc.

Whitt also seemed to insinuate the decision will be made a week prior. So Rising time table needs to be on track for the week prior. He isn’t worried about Rising lack of knowledge or ability to play it will just be a health thing.

UtesRule
          Ute Fan
          @utesrule

I would personally rather trust the coaching staff, lead by the GOAT head coach at Utah and Andy Ludwig who knows a helluva lot more about football than my left pinky finger (I’m right handed) does on which QB gives Utah the best chance of beating Florida if Cam is not ready to go.

Stop stressing. This is just like conference realignment / TV negotiations. We can’t do anything about it and know little about it. It will all play out, and likely for the best.

ProudUte
            Ute Fan
            @proudute

I trust Witt and Ludwig.

5 1

Ute2
        Ute Fan
        @ute2

I think we’ve had two starting qbs in a row(I don’t count brewer and the sc kid, and Covid year certainly doesn’t count.) in Huntley and rising that took the reigns and rocked it. I’ve got no doubt we can develop a playmaker at qb.

Nothing wrong with taking care of the ball and prioritizing that.

thirtyfour-thirtyone
      Ute Fan
      @thirtyfour-thirtyone

We have 3 guys who are competing to replace/backup one of the best QBs to ever play at Utah. They all have their strengths and weaknesses (and their recruiting ratings), and none of them are Cam Rising, Tyler Huntley, Bryan Johnson or Alex Smith.

They are all working their a$$s off, and I am stoked to see whichever one the coaches think gives Utah the best chance to win (if necessary). If that happens to be a certain pig farmer from Milford, I’ll cheer just as loudly for him as I would for Cam Rising (but he will obviously need a different theme song).

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.