Brett McMurpjy

Viewing 2 reply threads

Ute2
      Ute Fan
      @ute2

Per Brett m(I saw on twitter) we’re very much wanted by the big 12. He’s reputable right?

That’s some serious salve for these crazy times.

11 2

Waybackutefan
      Ute Fan
      @waybackutefan

Sure but does Utah want the Bid 12?

6 1

Ute2
        Ute Fan
        @ute2

Haha… who knows…

My only hope is that Randall and Harlan don’t eff it up!

Big 12? Cool.

Pac-12 with the t’s crossed and I’s dotted with wash and Oregon? Cool.

Just get it done already!!

5 1

UteThunder
        Ute Fan
        @utethunder

We better.

5 1

UteFanatic
        Ute Fan
        @utefanatic

Yes. Absolutely.

8 4

UtesRule
        Ute Fan
        @utesrule

Why are people so anxious to jump to the Big12?

8 6

UteFanatic
          Ute Fan
          @utefanatic

Because the Pac is dead.

8 3

UteThunder
          Ute Fan
          @utethunder

Stability and money, primarily. 

The Pac-12 is basically dead. Even if it survives, it will only be temporary until the B1G poaches Oregon and Washington and the BigXII picks off 1 to 3 more schools. We don’t want to be left behind to pretend we are P5 with a bunch of MWC schools.

Then there’s the fact that they actually have a TV deal which would keep our games on major networks instead of who knows what kind of primarily streaming deal Kliavkoff is going to get.

7 4

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

Because they buy into the narrative that the Big 12 is stable. It’s not. 

In 2028/2029, we will do this all over again. Either the SEC and B1G will consolidate and split off and everyone will be scrambling to join or USC/UCLA/Texas/OU will be looking to bail and start new conferences and everyone will be looking to jump on their coattails. 

So…all this right now? Meaningless in 5 years. Take as much money as you can and put yourself in a position to win as many games as you can do you look great in 5 years. That’s the goal. 

Because whether or not you join the Big 12 or stay is meaningless if you aren’t in USC’s conference in 2030. That’s what matters. 

5 1

alexsmith
            Ute Fan
            @alexsmith

To be fair, you’re absolutely correct. But, if you want any sort of invitation to the B10 in 5 years then you have to be in a conference playing really good football and most people don’t believe the PAC is lasting that long

7 1

UteFanatic
            Ute Fan
            @utefanatic

You are correct there will be more realignment in the future. But why not be in the most stable conference until then? Big12 is more stable than the Pac12 right now. That’s no longer a narrative. It’s reality.

4 3

Utah
              Ute Fan
              @utah

The most stable conference is the one that pays the most. Once we know the Big 12 pays more, we go. BUT, if the Big 12 pays equal or less, you’d be dumb to go, as your net would be less after traveling to Florida for sports. 

So…it’s still wait and see. And here’s another wrench for you. If the P10 pays 90% of what the Big 12 pays and you can win the P10 every year and make the playoffs 2-3 times…you seriously consider staying. 

So, it’s a lot more complicated than “the Big 12 says they’re stable!”

3 1

UteFanatic
                Ute Fan
                @utefanatic

I don’t think there is any question the Big12 will be paying more than the Pac12. They won. They have a mostly linear TV deal that pays $31.7M to each school. If the Pac was nearing a deal close to this, CU would not have left. 

I would eat crow if the Pac + a few G5 backfills gets even 75% of the Big12 deal. The Pac is really in trouble and is soon going to be a G5 level conference.

I do agree that playoff access is a huge deal, but the media deal disparity will take its toll over time, just like the SEC/B1G relative to the rest of the conferences. 

4 2

Ghost of the HEB
          Ute Fan
          @deseretgentlman

$32M > $15M

4 2

UteFanatic
            Ute Fan
            @utefanatic

Much better exposure, too. Fox and ESPN in good time slots vs whatever the Pac is going to get.

Anfernee
      Ute Fan
      @anfernee

I just want football. 😫

Ute2
        Ute Fan
        @ute2

Dont tel mi how tu liv mie lyf!!

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Pac-12 Brett McMurpjy