Cam Rising Interview

Viewing 3 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

His knee keeps improving.  He wasn’t wearing a brace today.

The knee was on his mind when he played against AZ.  However, he does not want to make any excuses.

With it being wet on Saturday, they wanted to get the run game going.  12 guys carried the ball last week.

Nate Johnson is the (self-proclaimed) fastest guy on the team.  He also has a great arm.  Cam told him to just go out and have fun.  He is now starting to get reps with the starters.  Previously, he was the scout-team QB.

They joked about Johnson’s speed and other guys like Dixon, Vaughn, etc. who have great speed.  (Kuithe joked on Tuesday that he was as fast as Johnson.  Cam laughed about that.)  

When Bill went on and on about Nate’s speed – Cam laughed and asked Bill if he was questioning his speed.

Riley was talking up the defense.  Cam agreed that Scalley and the D have stepped it up.  Much of this segment was Riley talking about the defense and asking Cam for confirmation.  Riley really talked up Ellis and Vaughn.  Vaughn did not play D in high school.  They also hyped Phillips and his work ethic.

All the other QBs in the QB room are owning their role.  They are working hard to perfect their skills.

He will be walking with the seniors on Saturday.  He will be looking at his odds of making it in the NFL.  His intention today is to declare himself eligible.  It sounds like he has made his decision.  (I am fine with that.)  He said he is feeling nostalgic and has a lot of emotions about his career here is coming to an end.

Stanford does a lot of good things.  They play a lot of Man D.  They are very good at third-down defense.

Riley asked about his mindset going into Saturday.  He said, just go out and enjoy the last game at RES, have fun and win. (I think Cam really does have fun out there.)

Cam says Caleb Williams and Bo Nix are probably the best players in the conference.

Dallas
      Ute Fan
      @dallas

Appreciate the summary

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

Thanks for the information. I subscribe to a number of football-related websites and none of them have Rising even getting drafted. I’m not sure why that is but I’m sure they see something in Rising’s game that they don’t like or don’t feel would translate to the NFL. For example, PFF has Tanner McKee as a likely mid-1st RD draft pick (possibly due to his size and physical measurables) but his stats are nowhere to the level of what Rising has shown.

1 4

Distantute
        Ute Fan
        @distantute

Cam doesnt have a strong arm

The Miami Ute
          Ute Fan
          @themiamiute

A lot of NFL QBs don’t have strong arms and are still plenty successful. Bryce Young himself, the current Heisman Trophy winner and presumptive #1 draft pick, is short and doesn’t have an atomic cannon for an arm either.

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

I admit that I was surprised that Cam seems so certain that he is leaving for the NFL.  I love Cam at Utah, but I am not sure he has what it takes to be drafted.  I am sure he knows more than we all do.  

Whatever Cam decides to do – I support him 100% and wish him well.  He has been a great Ute.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

I think he will be fine. He is a smart kid and is really good at finding guys over the top and can extend plays. USC win had to move a few scouts eyes. He needs to beat Oregon. Do that and I think he can get in. NFL drafts a lot of trash. 

1 1

HoosierUte
            Ute Fan
            @hoosierute

Hypothetically, if you are a good (borderline great) QB at a mid-level NIL school and you have 1 year of eligibility left. If the NFL isn’t a sure thing. Why not open up the bidding and get some $$ offers from big NIL schools that need a QB next season? Isn’t this the system we have created?

UrbanLiar
              Ute Fan
              @urbanliar

I don’t think so. I think most players in that scenario think they’ll be better off remaining at a school that provides decent but not obscene level of NIL compensation during their last year, and a more predictable and hopefully higher probability of showcasing their talent in a system they’ve mastered. There’s huge potential risk to grab the short term $$$ elsewhere but lose the best platform to get that player to their ultimate goal: the NFL. This context is exactly what played out with Kincaid and the Bama booster offer. He’s now a semifinalist for the Mackey Award as the best TE in the country because he remained at the U. Plus, most big NIL schools aren’t frantically trying to get a one year mercenary.

belli1976
      Ute Fan
      @belli1976

Perhaps the likelihood of Kincaid, Kuithe and Vele all leaving, Cam is concerned who will be catching his throws.

UrbanLiar
        Ute Fan
        @urbanliar

Where did you hear Vele might be leaving? He’s a sophomore.

89ute
          Ute Fan
          @89ute

Someone posted here that they sat next to a Vele family member at a game and came away thinking he’s gone. Might have been his father IIRC.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Cam Rising Interview