Coach Whittingham—Winning Percentage A- This is why.

Viewing 4 reply threads

utetastic
      Ute Fan
      @utetastic

This is a list of all University of Utah Coaches and their records and winning percentages. Coach Whittingham has the 4th highest percentage of all time. I think most of us agree that Urban is probably the best coach we have ever had. Thus Urban gets an “A”.

I think an argument can be made that Kyle is the second best coach we have ever had. Joe Maddock has a higher winning percentage than Kyle in  38 total games but you have to look at who he played. Here is a list of some of his wins. (Oregon Short Line, Fort Douglas, Utah A.C., Colorado College, Colorado Mines, Colorado A.C.) (lost to teams like St. Vincent, Denver and Colorado College) Maddock is not even close to Whittingham.

The only other coach that even compares to Whittingham is Ike Armstrong. (Whittingham 67.5%–Armstrong 70.4 %) Whittinhams percentage is slightly lower than Armstrongs but Whittinghams percent was higher than Armstrongs percent before he was added to the Pac 12. Before the Pac 12 Whittingham was 57-20, which is 74% (That is not counting the Fiesta Bowl which is on paper a win for Whitt) When you look at who Armstrong beat there are still a lot of Colorado Colleges and Denvers etc. Whittingham has the best long term record ever, especially when you compare the competition. It is not even close. I have a hard time not giving Coach Whittingham an A- when it could be argued he is the best coach we have ever had. (Meyer bailed on us for  places easier to win)

Total games     wins       losses      ties          %

Walter Shoup                    1895                       1              0              1              0              .000       

Tom Lovat                        1974–1976           33           5              28           0              .152

Byron Cummings              1897                       6              1              5              0              .166       

Robert Harkness               1894                       3              1              2              0              .333

Mike Giddings                   1966–1967           21           9              12           0              .429

Jim Fassel                            1985–1989           58           25           33           0              .431

Chuck Stobart                    1982–1984           34           16           17           1              .485

Bill Meek                             1968–1973           64           33           31           0              .516

Ray Nagel                            1958–1965           82           42           39           1              .518

Nelson Norgren                 1914–1917           24           13           11           0              .542

Wayne Howard                 1977–1981           56           30           24           2              .554

Thomas Fitzpatrick           1919–1924           43           23           17           3              .570

Jack Curtice                        1950–1957           81           45           32           4              .580

Ron McBride                      1990–2002           151         88           63           0              .583

Harvey Holmes                  1900–1903           23           13           9              1              .587

C.B. Ferris                            1896                       5              3              2              0              .600       

Fred Bennion                     1910–1913           27           16           8              3              .648

Benjamin Wilson              1898                       3              2              1              0              .667

Charles Gatehouse          1899                       3              2              1              0              .667

Kyle Whittingham            2005–                    154         104         50           0              .675

Ike Armstrong                   1925–1949           211         141         55           15           .704

Joe Maddock                     1904–1909           38           28           9              1              .750       

Urban Meyer                     2003–2004           24           22           2              0              .917

gUrthBrooks
      Ute Fan
      @hammer

A+ post and K-Whitt is an A+ coach: Most wins per dollar spent of ALL MAJOR PROGRAMS! in the past 10+ years….plus consistently top 25 program.

4 2

Ute Bc
        Ute Fan
        @utebc

Look I love Whitt.  He’s a great coach.  But you don’t get an A+ until you win a National Championship.  I think he may do it now that we don’t have to go undefeated to get in the game. 

gUrthBrooks
          Ute Fan
          @hammer

Don’t forget your history. He and Chris Hill (&Urban) got us into the PAC12. I still can’t believe it. A+ Forever!

Ute Bc
            Ute Fan
            @utebc

Fair enough. Urban and Mac also helped that. 

AlohaUte
      Ute Fan
      @alohaute

Coach Whitt is fantastic and is an A+ coach. No, he’s not perfect, but he has done more with less than any coach I’ve seen over a longer period of time. We are very fortunate to have him.

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

You forgot the part where he got a Wyoming coach to flip him off on camera. Good times.

KiYi-Ute
        Ute Fan
        @kiyi-ute

I wish he approached more games like he did that game. Never call off the dogs.

FtheY
          Ute Fan
          @fthey

Agreed. Let’s see some onside kicks this year. 

UtMtBiker
      Ute Fan
      @utmtbiker

Yes he is a great coach and probably the best we’ve ever had but you can’t get an A- or even A rating with some of the mistakes he has made. 9 OC in 10 years? That just means that you made 8 bad hires in a row. I would even say that he is the best coach that Utah could get at the time, and as he has grown into a better coach, probably still the best we could get. Utah can’t have whoever we want.

With that said, still not and A- Coach for me. I’m sitting at B- to B. South division title gets him a bump, a Pac12 title gets him a bump, and National Title gets him a statue. Just not an A grade for me yet.

UteThunder
        Ute Fan
        @utethunder

Don’t be so quick to say “8 bad hires in a row.”

Schramm/A-Rod weren’t bad in 2009 & 2010. We won 10 games both years and their offense was one of the better offenses we have had under KW(I realize that may not be saying much, but still).

Chow was a great hire. Unfortunately for us, he had aspirations to become a HC and Hawaii offered after just one year with us. That isn’t a reflection on KW.

Johnson was a bad hire if for no other reason than he was too young and inexperienced.

Erickson wasn’t a bad hire. His contributions to this team are invaluable. The fault with Erickson appears to be that he wasn’t truly the OC, rather he was just brought in to help BJ.

Hiring Christensen and the Co-OC hiring of A-Rod/Harding were bad moves, though, Harding has worked out in other ways like DE did.

All in all, I would say there has been 3 bad OC hires (BJ, DC, & Hard-Rod) mixed with a questionable decision(not allowing DE to be the OC).

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Coach Whittingham—Winning Percentage A- This is why.