Crazy Lady

Viewing 12 reply threads

UofU Fanatic
      Ute Fan
      @uofufanatic

I haven’t been in stadium for some time. I remember a stupid in the break segment called crazy lady, or something like that. It made no sense to me.

I think they replaced it with a drum performance they used to do and lately been the moment of loudness.

Do I remember this as a thing Utah used to do in between one of the quarters? And if so, wth was that all about lol

NarfUte
      Ute Fan
      @narfute

Bubbles was a fan who used to dance to the blues Brothers theme in the stadium in the late 80’s/90s. When she ‘retired’ another fan (terry) started crazy dancing to the song. At some point she was adopted by the MUSS and the band and was featured in the 3/4th quarter break. Then, Chris hill got a stick up his ass and made her go away – first, by only letting her dance to the MUSS and not letting the blues brothers theme play on the PA. She was replaced by a Taiko drum.

UofU Fanatic
        Ute Fan
        @uofufanatic

Interesting story to it, I knew there had to be something to it but never bothered finding out. Thanks

14 5

Ute Dub
        Ute Fan
        @chestercopperpot

Thank God for Chris Hill! Hired Majerus, Hired Urban and Kyle, and got rid of Crazy Lady!

W16Ute
        Ute Fan
        @w16ute

Man those taiko drums were the worst. Moment of loudness is so much better. Nice to get some real traditions that came organically. The drums felt forced.

I do miss the howitzer though.

pedro
        Ute Fan
        @pedro

Fans at the time did nothing but bitch about Crazy Lady, so it’s funny to see your take on it.

NarfUte
          Ute Fan
          @narfute

I was a student during crazy lady’s “prime” so maybe that’s why – also mad they took away the golf course my sr. Year for more research buildings, like that money is important 😉

Dallas
            Ute Fan
            @dallas

That golf course was an amazing perk.

NavyUte
              Ute Fan
              @navyute

I took the golf class for credit… the final was 50 questions on Caddyshack. Best class ever!

utefansince79
              Ute Fan
              @utefansince79

Lost a bit of history when the golf course closed. Back a long time ago, it was a full sized 18 hole course and hosted the Utah Open which was part of the PGA tour. Ben Hogan was one of the great legends that played that course in that tournament.

UrbanLiar
                Ute Fan
                @urbanliar

And Ben Hogan famously 4 putted a green in the final round right where the Legacy Bridge now stands.

pedro
            Ute Fan
            @pedro

FWIW, I agree with you on both.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Crazy Lady “replaced” bubbles unofficially. She would dance with the band in the Blues Brothers theme at the tailgate up until a year or two ago. Haven’t seen her in a year or two. Seems really nice. Always fun to talk to.

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

It should be noted for those that don’t know… Bubbles was voluptuous – it made a difference.

OldAsDirtUte
        Ute Fan
        @oldasdirtute

Bubbles was spontaneous. She started impromptu dancing, the student section (which was right behind her chair seat) fell in love with her. They started showing up early just so they could sit near Bubbles! Bubbles’ nickname was actually coined for her by the Channel 4 News Anchor, who sat nearby.
        It only grew from there.

9 3

dwainegf
      Ute Fan
      @dwainegf

I find it sad that a few snobs can ruin a long and fun tradition. I found the hokeyness and pure fun had by the MUSS and Crazy Lady refreshing. Just because you as an individual, don’t like something. Does that give you the right to ruin it for everyone who does enjoy it. It goes along with the songs played at the game. What is wrong with Sweet Caroline or Hooked on a Feeling…et al? Too hokey? There are only tens of thousands of people singing at the top of their lungs when they are played.

Utephoria
        Ute Fan
        @utephoria

I may be a negative person about this, but Sweet Caroline is being sung by a bunch of lemmings at sporting events and now beer commercials, like following each other over the edge of a cliff. No where in the song does Neil Diamond scream BUM, BUM, BUM! Nor does Neil yell SO GOOD, SO GOOD, SO GOOD! Ugh.

bopahull
          Ute Fan
          @bopahull

My guess is you never attended a Neil Diamond concert. Those additions were made by his audiences.

DrahtUte
        Ute Fan
        @drahtute

My thoughts on your post can best be expressed by this quote from Billy Madison:

“At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.”

Ute2
      Ute Fan
      @ute2

I’m pretty sure the muss board ruined crazy lady.

While I was at school crazy lady was big. She’d dance at the corner of the south end zone and everybody in the muss would chant.

Then the muss board thought it would be a good idea to bring her over to the muss to dance.

But it was stupid because then nobody in the muss could see her because she wasn’t on her ‘stage’ anymore so it kind of died. Not sure what when it totally died off.

utahwingman
      Ute Fan
      @utahwingman

Before “Crazy Lady” and “Bubbles”, there was a marching band member with long hair in the 90’s. He did his head banging like he would give himself a whipblash. Not sure if he gave himself CTE but he got the crowd going.

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

The golf course was always a temporary plan, a very good plan. Forward thinking people at the U planned for expansion and made use of the space in the meantime. Research is exactly what we need and nearby Research Park was also part of the plan. STEM, Business, and Medicine are not for everyone but it is key to improving our lives.

I also loved the golf course. In the 70s there was an old guy named Vinnie in a shack there to check you in. Loved talking to him almost every day. You could leave a club with him and he would redo the grip just to be a nice guy. Yep, 1 hour of PE was there for us but I am sure there are still classes like Home Decor where any answer is a correct answer. Tuition was $179 per quarter for any number of hours, another story.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

I actually played the course!

——-
        Support Ute Hub! – Donate via gofundme or Venmo!

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

The golf course. I was always afraid that a ball would hit my car and I would drive through it on the way to parking before class. I love open green spaces, so I was sad to see it go.

concerned
      Ute Fan
      @concerned

Crazy Lady got too big for her britches. She wanted the U to pay for her to go to away games and to become an official part of the in-game tradition. Hill thought it was embarrassing and annoying.

The golf course originally was the Ft. Douglas golf course, and then the Ft. Douglas Country Club golf course (when the club was located where the JCC is now, before it moved to Draper) It was a championship course.

I took lessons from Vinnie McGuire when I was a kid. He had the reputation of being the best teaching pro in the area.

p.s. I think they are not playing Sweet Caroline this year, right? Thank heaven.

UrbanLiar
        Ute Fan
        @urbanliar

He was my first golf coach as a kid! I miss Vinnie! Here’s something you might like:

Conversation with Vinnie McGuire

concerned
          Ute Fan
          @concerned

That is really cool. Thanks.

Charlie
          Ute Fan
          @charlie

Well that helps me understand Vinnie more but he sure was fun to talk to when he was just chilling.

utefansince79
      Ute Fan
      @utefansince79

My wife never been much of a Neil Diamond fan at all. A few nights ago the commercial (for Jim Bean I believe) came on with the bar patrons singing and chanting Bah Bah Bah SO GOOD!!! SO GOOD!!! and my wife (doesn’t attend games with me) said “nowhere would any group of people ever act like that!”

I didn’t have the heart to tell her……

Ol’ Lefty
      Ute Fan
      @alphachicken

Along the same lines. I seem to remember doing a “tomahawk chop” either as a prelude to Utah Man or at certain intervals with a certain musical lead. Would have been early 90’s something like that. Am I miss-remembering this happening? Anyone have any memories.

Utes 69
      Ute Fan
      @slc123

I hope she is well, just don’t want to see her on TV anymore!

Viewing 12 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.