Dana Holgerson as new OC

Viewing 5 reply threads

noneyadb
      Ute Fan
      @noneyadb

WVU parting ways with Holgerson, how big of a push does Whitt try to bring him in?

https://twitter.com/anonymous19964/status/1079844698406207488?s=19

concerned
      Ute Fan
      @concerned

He is getting fired because he is going to become the HC at Houston, replacing Applewhite. If Houston had hired him last week, the buyout would have been $1.5 million.

User Suspended
        @a2ute

That would help explain why Houston would fire a coach with a winning record

NarfUte
        Ute Fan
        @narfute

Why would they fire him if he was getting hired away? If he’s hired away, UH would have to pay WVU a buyout – If he’s fired, WVU would be paying a buyout to Holgerson… Doesn’t make a whole lot of sense.

His buyout if he leaves early is $2.5 Million today – and $1 Million starting tomorrow. WVU won’t get any of that if they fired him.
        It looks like he has a clause in his contract that a school hiring him away pays the buyout, but Holgerson has to let the AD know if he’s discussing with other schools. Maybe WVU knows he breached the contract, so they’re firing him with cause to get some sort of larger buyout?

User Suspended
      @a2ute

As head coach maybe.

Puget Ute
      Ute Fan
      @pugetute

I don’t understand. That seems like such a huge step down from WVU. I understand the UH location is much better than Morgantown, but it still seems odd.

NarfUte
        Ute Fan
        @narfute

He’s from Houston and it’s apparently a fully guaranteed 6yr deal. He was going to make 3.7, 3.8, 3.9 mil over the next three years at WVU so if he’s getting around $2mil/yr fully guaranteed it’s a smart move.

NarfUte
      Ute Fan
      @narfute

SalUteopia
      Ute Fan
      @saluteopia

Why not go after Applewhite?

User Suspended
        @a2ute

I would really like to get a Applewhite.. but I just don’t think it’s in the the cards for Utah.

Put it this way. You get shafted by Houston (even when you have a winning season) and you they entertain an OC job at Utah? 

Utah goes thru OC’s like sh*t thru a goose.  If Applewhite accepts a demotion and takes the Utah OC job and it doesn’t work out, (history says it won’t) his coaching career is over.  Applewhite will get another shot as a head coach.

Utah’s best shot is with some near retired old yoda…. who really doesn’t care about the implications it has on his career.  

UteThunder
          Ute Fan
          @utethunder

I mostly agree, but going from P5 coordinator to G5 head coach back to P5 coordinator isn’t a career killer, even if he isn’t wildly successul. If nothing else, I think he could easily get another G5 HC job by pointing to his time at Houston.

SalUteopia
          Ute Fan
          @saluteopia

Pre 2014, I’d agree with you but we’re in a much better position today. Except 2017, we’ve had a pretty decent run in the recent years (including division champs in 2018).
          We’re not Bama or tOSU, but we’re set up nicely to have a great 2019. We inherit a Sr. QB, a great D, and a relatively easy path to PAC12 CG. Utah OC is not a “sexy” gig, but there is plenty potential to further your career, especially if you’re coming from the G5 world.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Dana Holgerson as new OC