Finally finished the game…

Viewing 5 reply threads

Ute2
      Ute Fan
      @ute2

I was traveling amd didn’t get to fully take in the Weber game until tonight…

I gotta say, I thought the oline looked pretty good.

Bam played a great game.

I only saw us get physically beat a few times. Weber does have one or two dudes and I’m assuming that’s why laumea will start when he’s healthy.

We got mentally beat on some of they’re super exotic blitz stuff. I bet that is some of the most exotic stuff we’ll face all year. I bet the coaches are very pleased at the looks we were exposed to in prep for the next time somebody goes crazy like that.

Sometimes brewer got skittish and didn’t step into a clean pocket.

We missed on some combo blocks. That is some tough stuff to bat 100 on though if we’re being fair.

And Weber loaded the box as much as they possibly could. I reckon In future matchups Brewer will be checking out of some runs against similar looks and saying, “if you really want to give me man with just a single high then…. Ok.”

Honestly, especially on the run plays, a lot of where we broke down up front was our right ends getting beat. They were the culprits often when it looked ugly up front. The Thomas fumble would’ve gone for YARDS had the TE not let the defender cross his face.

I left this game feeling a lot more confident in oblock than discouraged.

And If Bam is our backup tackle then we’ll be in goood shape…

Ute2
      Ute Fan
      @ute2

Really hoping the TEs button things up in their blocking as we move forward..

THEeyepatch
      Ute Fan
      @theeyepatch1

Well despite people’s woeful comments about the Oline I’m just glad that we have a quarterback that can run and throw laser beams! GO UTES!

Ute Dub
      Ute Fan
      @chestercopperpot

Thanks for the in depth insight. I grow tired of people giving superficial comments that the O-line looked horrible and then they never give a shred of evidence of an actual block missed by the o-line when it could be the TE or RB or QB fault or a 6 – 7 man blitz issue, etc.. I’m excited to see what looks we give BYU out of the jumbo package with 2-3 TE’s that are very versatile in the pass game. If BYU plays their conservative 8 deep zone, the TE’s should have underneath routes open all game and Brewer can dink and dunk all the way down the field. Thomas ran hard against Weber but also Bernard hit some holes at top speed and I think BYU’s d-line is green and young compared to most years BYU D-lines. Utah should run the ball with success. I like our chances.

Ute2
        Ute Fan
        @ute2

Agreed on all the things!

I hate unjustified negativity. If you call somebody out, bring the receipts!!

Charlie
        Ute Fan
        @charlie

When Utah releases the TEs and RB, we need to be better with a hot receiver ready. Weber was sending 1 and 2 LBs when they saw those releases making it a race to see the play develop before pressure got to Brewer. We got several first downs in this race but it cost a couple of free runs at Brewer. Rule #1, you must punish a defense out of position or it will be repeated. We just need to be better at punishing the defense out of position without a hit to Brewer. The Y saw those LB moves, it will be interesting to see if they can copy that and interesting to see Utah’s solution if they do.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Goal line attempts just brought back too much bad taste and the fact that Utah was 0-2 on Fourth down.

I also believe Oline graded out well enough. Yet 15~ left in the redzone? When it happened I was pretty upset because it has been the trend at Utah.

Ute2
        Ute Fan
        @ute2

The run up the middle was set up for a TD by oblock. They moved the LOS into the end zone.

Again though, a TE on the line in the jumbo set let a defender inside to blow up the play.

1 1

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

Who calls assignments though? Is it Brewer or the center? I believe it was Fotheringham on the goal line and he also had another missed assignment.

I 100% agree with you just saying to most people they blame the oline.

noneyadb
      Ute Fan
      @noneyadb

https://twitter.com/noneyadb801/status/1436334583138566153?s=20

Was this an example of those “exotic blitz’s” where the RT, RG, C, and LG are blocking two guys allowing both backers to come around unblocked?

Utah being unprepared for such “exotic blitz’s” from Weber St- let’s remind everybody the HC, both DC’s, and majority of coaching staff either played or coached under Whitt- is the issue. Weber didn’t just suddenly change their coaching staff and system prior to fall camp. Weber is good enough they’ll get some pressure, but the oline grading out in the high 60’s low 70’s is not ideal for a team wanting to win a Pac12 championship vs a well known staff.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Finally finished the game…