Finally watching Weber game for the first time. Nate Johnson is good.

Viewing 4 reply threads
      5 12

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

There is absolutely nothing wrong with his throws. The dude can throw, and his decisions are good, and quick. He just needs a bit more seasoning. I think He’ll be the starter next season for sure, and I think he’ll just get better and better.

This is why you put your 4* guys into the game. The cream rises to the top. Sorry Bryson, but you’re more like 1%.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

There was one play that stood out to me. NJ was in the pocket and a defender was getting to him. He went to throw to a particular receiver and at the last second noticed another one was open. The clutched on the first target then quickly hit the 2nd receiver on the money for a catch.

Rick
      Ute Fan
      @utebiquitous

Nate was on 1280 – I think – this afternoon talking about the game. Mitchell asked him about a particular play where he threw to Money Parks. It was a read play where both the QB and the receiver needed to read safeties and corners. Money broke to the outside downfield right as Nate threw the ball down the seam. Mitchell said that if Money had run the seam route he would have scored. Nate agreed and carefully, without throwing Money under the bus, basically said that Money misread the defense. I remember the play and wondered at the time where the mix up was. Mitchell remarked that it was an advanced read/play and complimented Nate on it.

I do think Nate needs to step up into the pocket a little more when he starts seeing pressure. Mitchell commented on that as well (earlier in the week) and I agree. I thought he allowed Weber to flush him out three or four times Saturday when he needed to take a step or two forward and find a receiver downfield. Easy for me to say. I can’t imagine the pressure on these guys.

Anyway, it’s been fun watching him progress. If he’s our guy again this week I hope he’s able to make progress against UCLA’s best defense since Chip arrived.

D T
        Ute Fan
        @azute1

Difficult to gauge exactly how good UCLA’s D is based on their schedule….IMO, not as good as they’ve looked against that soft schedule, but definitely have a few dudes on that side of the ball.

I believe we’ll be able to clearly outplay their first three opponents offensively.

16 2

Brettski
      Ute Fan
      @brettski

Not sure why you’re bashing on Barnes. He isn’t as talented but sheesh.

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

I guess all the downvotes are because in comparing Barnes to Johnson, I said Johnson is quite a bit better? I appreciate Barnes what he did for us, but he’s clearly not the future. I stand by my statement. Nate is just better. Downvote all you want if you feel that’s a slight, but facts is facts.

1 1

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

Anti- Pig farmer Milfordite is what you are. Just bias.

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

I don’t think comparing the two got you down votes. Everyone know NJ is better BB, and no one will fault you for pointing that out. It was the unnecessary put down of 1% that earned them for you.

Utesbyfive
            Ute Fan
            @utesbyfive

Wow. If that’s what it is, there are some over-sensitive people here. Oh no, a butterfat metaphor! If I said Bryson is more like whole milk would people be as offended? Sheesh.

Central Coast Ute
              Ute Fan
              @flip2848

You said cream rises to the top and he’s 1%. That’s clearly not just a statement on fat found in dairy products. I don’t know you, but I’d bet if BB is 1%, you’re skim milk as far as being a D1 QB goes.

DrahtUte
      Ute Fan
      @drahtute

There’s no need to knock on Bryson in order to be excited about Nate’s future.

I think Bryson is better than what he showed against Baylor. It’s unlikely he’ll ever get another chance to show that to us Ute fans though. It’ll be a tough way to end a football career, if that’s how things go.

No need to pile on a kid for pursuing his dreams but coming up short.

2 3

22Ute22
        Ute Fan
        @utedagoat

He’s not better than what he showed against Baylor. He can’t make multiple reads, locks his eyes on one player, and holds on to the ball a bit too long. He also doesn’t keep his eyes down field when he is escaping the pocket, and just tucks the ball and runs. Thankful for what he did during his time, but hopefully we don’t ever need him to take meaningful game snaps again.

DrahtUte
          Ute Fan
          @drahtute

I don’t disagree with anything after your first sentence.

I just have a hard time believing that game was as good as Bryson can play and also that Kyle (ie the greatest coach in the history of college sports in Utah) thought that was good enough to give Bryson the starting position. Those two things don’t add up to me.

Kyle clearly believed Bryson was better than that – which is why he yelled at him for underperforming. So, I think Bryson is better than that but still not up to being a QB at this level

EagleMountainUte
            Ute Fan
            @battlegroundute

Hard for me to fault Barnes or NJ for any mistakes. From what I understand Rising was taking reps during practice as well. Only so many reps to go around and all that.

2008 National Champ
              Ute Fan
              @cptmrgn05

Not to mention Barnes played better when he was getting full drives against Florida, they both sucked switching off against Baylor, and then Johnson played better at the end of the Baylor game when he knew that he wasn’t going to get pulled out every other play.

The game plan against Baylor to have them switch in and out like they were running backs obviously didn’t work. But i also find the commentary on the two QB’s unfair. Barnes throw right, the receiver turns left, Barnes should never have been in the game. Johnson throws right, the receiver turns left, it’s the receivers fault and just proves how good Johnson is.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Finally watching Weber game for the first time. Nate Johnson is good.